I have stomach ulcer and strong pain. I always worry about food and eating, because pain occurs after the meal. Most of the food induces swelling, while other makes me feel like someones stabbing me with the knife. I am using Ranitidine and I use omeprazole too. Can I use Ranitidine and omeprazole together?

Ranitidine blocks H2 receptors and prevents decreased secretion of HCL. Increased amount of HCL happens normally when the food is in the stomach. With increased secretion, the pain occurs and Rantidine prevents that. Omeprazole has a completely different mechanism. It inhibits acid mechanism and also decreases the HCL secretion. There are no know interaction between those two.

Is there a typo in the reply? It sounds like increased HCL is what causes the pain, so the ranitidine would inhibit the secretion of HCL...which would reduce the pain...right? I also use both Zantac (ranitidine) and omaprazole, and am wondering if one is better on an empty stomach or a full stomach. Any thoughts?

u can use omeprazole on empty stomach.. use it in the morning before 30 mins eating breakfast.

I would just like to add to the original response because I randomly stumbled upon this message. First, I hope that a doctor is managing your heartburn/ulcer and that you are not just managing it yourself. Excess stomach acid can cause serious harm, not only ulcers but it may lead to gastric/ esophageal cancer as well. Secondly, though ranitidine and omeprazole may be used together ranitidine is only for symptom relief where omperazole (and drugs in its class)  actually has data to support that it can heal erosion. If stomach pain persists it is in your best interest to evaluate your diet, as certain foods increase stomach acid more than others. For heartburn/reflux pain, decrease the amount of large meals you eat and instead eat many small meals throughout the day. Large meals increase the pressure within the stomach allowing the stomach pressure to overcome the pressure in the esophagus, pushing that acid upward. Abdominal obesity also increasing stomach pressure so exercise is recommended to decrease fat in the abdomen. Lastly, if lifestyle changes do not work, you may want to have your MD increase your dose of omeprazole or prescribe another drug (there are drugs that actually coat the stomach temporarily to allow time for the ulcer to heal. Carafate is an example of a drug that works in this way). Ranitidine works more quickly than omeprazole so it is best to only use it for breakthrough acid related pain after you have already taken omeprazole in the day; however, please consider that if you are needing breakthrough pain coverage many times throughout the day, the omeprazole dose should either be increases or you may benefit from another drug in the same class. Other drugs in the same class are Protonix, Nexium and many others. Some patients benefit from switching to a drug in the same class because everyone's body is different. Please keep your doctor aware of your symptoms. I hope that prescription insurance issues don't keep you away from managing your ulcers properly. ----Crystal

hi ellerey, i use both together.. even tho i take them a couple of hours apart, im on 150mg of ranitidine twice daily and 20mg of omeprazole twice daily.....iv'e been told this is the maximum so i'm hoping this will sort the problem out.

Hi all, I have been prescribed 150mg Ranitidine twice daily and Omeprozole 20mg once a day. I have been on this for 6 months and still suffer problems everyday. If I miss a dose of either I certainly know about it! Previously I have been on all the other ppi including Esomeprozole, lansoprole etc all these have stopped working eventually until I am now on the last resort. What I really want to ask is has anyone managed to reduce their dosage and if so how? I can't see myself being on this forever but doc has told me I might "just have to live with it" ! Nice :) Any assistance is much appreciated.

I have the same problem. I took omeprazole, pepcid for couple years. Nowadays I take sparsely. My doc told me that there is no problem, if you have to take for many years since omeprazole / pepcid are mild medicine.

But it does stop after some time. But it is very important to keep acid secretion under control. So don't worry about taking omeprazole regularly. But you need to have diet control and lifestyle change.

Perrin wrote:

Hi
I know what you are going through believe me I have been taking triple terapy twice and omprazole 40mg in the morning and 150ranitidine in the evening and feeling acid in my mouth most of the day, also aches in stomach, this thing doesn't seems to stop for me for about 5months now, I am thinking of having an operation , just had about enough of having these horible symptoms, anyone with these symptoms and no help from drags? Did anyone had that operation laparoscopy?

Tina,

Just wanted to thank you for your post. I take 300 mg. of ranitidine daily along with 40 mg. of omeprazole. Nice to know I can take them together.

Are you taking both Ranitidine and Omeprazole together?
If I have to take both, I stagger them - Morning Omeprazole, and middle of the day Ranitidine/Zantac.

You need to check with your doctor to know how to adjust your dosage.

Yes, I take 40 mg. of Omeprazole in the mornings and 300 mg. of the ranitidine in the evenings at bedtime.  Only thing that works to stop nighttime GERD.

Me too!
I try to take the Pepcid 20mg / Omeprazole 20mg before Bed or in the evenining, and Zantac during the day if I have to. Though doc suggests that you take in the mornings. Taking in the evening helps me uninterruptible sleep especially in early morning.

Hi, incidentally, I came across this site in my search for confirmation about a drug my student wrote about it.  Anyway, this is what I know about Ranitidine and omeprazole:  Zantac (Ranitidine) and Omeprazole both are prescribed to treat Peptic Ulcers.  Zantac is an antagonist for H2 receptor on the parietal Cells of the stomach, which results in the decrease in the production the acid. Omeprazole belongs to the class of the drugs Proton Pump Inhibitors. The enzyme ATPase a Proton Pump is responsible for the secretion of H+ ions in the gastric lumen thus increasing the acidity of the lumen. By inhibiting the action of proton pump it regulates acid production directly. Due to lack of acid in stomach and duodenum the ulcers heal faster.  So, the main motto for using the both of them remains the same i.e. reduction of gastric acid although the mechanism is in different manner.  Perhaps,  the reason why Ranitidine is given together with Omeprazole is the additional benefit that Ranitidine has an antiemetic effect - meaning it prevents us from vomiting. Ranitidine may effect on a short term, while omeprazole is good for longer term.  Although, both are best taken before meals. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed***Please read our Terms of Use

Thank you! Thankyou!! Thank you all for the enlightening posts. Stomach ulcer is the thing you wish only to a deadly enemy. My stomach ulcer pain combines with kidney stone pains: so you all can imagine my situation. Omeprazole, I've been told may be my companion for life(with my sweet wife- both will take pains away). Initial treatment for my duedonal ulcer was 2omg of omeprazole twice daily with clarithromycin and amoxycilin. The pains always return shortly after each treatment with anti-biotics. I was toying with the idea of taking ranitidine during the day for extra relief until i stumbled onto your postings. Thank you all, rushing out now to buy zantac 150mg. By the way does ulcer have any links with bad breath?