Hi. I’m 22 years old. Generally I’m healthy and I usually feel fine. But, recently I’ve had some stomache problems. I feel fine when I wake up, and if I don't eat, I feel fine up to one hour after lunch. But, after l have lunch (usually one hour after it) I start to get upper stomache pain (burning, cramping, slight gas). It goes away within a few hours but it is really annoying. I even went to my internists who gave me aciphex, which, by the way, has not worked. What is the problem??? How can I treat this??? Thanks.

It seems to me that you have dyspepsia. It is defined as pain or discomfort centered in the upper abdomen and can be intermittent or continuous, and may or may not be related to meals. There are many possible causes for it, but the most common are peptic ulcer disease, gastritis, esophagitis, gastric cancer, biliary disease, or pancreatitis. Since aciphex has no effect, I suggest further evaluation which should include upper endoscopy to evaluate for any peptic ulcer or gastritis. Also, be sure to be tested for H Pylori - if the test is positive, you can be treated with antibiotics.

Hi There,

I just happened upon a post from someone who got burning and stomach pain after eating and wanted to mention Celiac Sprue. For people who cannot digest gluten, getting rid of wheat, oats, barley and rye can be life saving.

ALL gluten needs to be out of the diet and other products used (shampoo, soap, etc.). Contamination (bread crumbs in butter, wheat flour in the air) needs to be removed as well if someone with Celiac disease in to get better. Celiac Sprue Association has a product book that is helpful for learning about hidden gluten (ex: distilled vinegar derived from wheat). CSA/USA has a web site and there are support groups to help those with Celiac.

Hope this helps anyone suffering from Celiac. I have seen people come to near death before someone suggests getting gluten out of the system. It is worth a try, but you can't go halfway -- you must research -- call every company for each product you use and ask if it contains gluten if you are to discover by elimination if gluten is hurting your intestines.

Best Wishes,
Gluten-free

I have had similar problems to you recently. I took all kinds of indigeston medines and none of them worked. Howver finally after taking a months dose of proton pump inhibitors (stop the production of acid in your stomach) I feel much better. It sounds like you are getting heartburn so you should seriously consider eliminating acidic foods from your diet and anything else that you may think irritates the lining of your stomach in particular alcohol, spicy foods, very hot or cold foods. I was in bed for days last christmas because I eat fresh celery for the first time in years. If this is the case you could make the problems worse if you continue to eat what is causing the problem on a long term basis.