Hello, I would like to know a little more about Prozac long term side effects. I ask this question for my mother who has been using it for some time now. She was prescribed Prozac for her depression and it seems really helpful. Still, I guess there is no drug without side effect so I am interested to know if she has to be aware of anything.

Prozac is designed to fight not only depression, but also OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder), bulimia nervosa, panic disorders etc. Of course, she should not take Prozac if she is allergic to any of its ingredients. Its effects are based on regulating the balance of serotonin, substance that helps with mood problems. As for side effects, it can cause dizziness (if she consumes alcohol), she should check her blood level regularly, agitation, hallucination (serotonin syndrome). As you see, there are several serious side effects, so watch out for them.

I've been taking Prosac 60 mg for about 10mths for bullimia. I do have side effects which i'll go into later but overall i must say Prosac has improved the 'quality' of my life. It isn't the 'sunshine drug' which people portray, unfortunately when you take it life doesn't seem as if 'the sun shines every day'........but what it does do is make life bearable/okay...as life should be....

As for side effects....i do suffer on and off with the following; anxiety, shaking limbs, jerks and excess sweating......(something which i never had) Although these symptoms sound bad they are 'dealable' some days are better than others but instead of wanted to maybe end it all, Prosac makes you think about it twice, which is good..........