Hi- I've taken Lexapro and Zoloft in the past for anxiety/ panic attacks and also OCD. None of these have had any positive effect on me. Recently, after experiencing several panic attacks, my doctor prescribed a low dose of Xanex (3 pills a day) and I felt better on this than ANYTHING I've ever taken. I thought I had FINALLy found the right medication for my anxiety. I could not believe how much better I felt with the Xanex. However, I should have known it was too good to be true- I took the Xanex for a couple of weeks and then the doctor told me that she wanted me to stop taking it EVERYDAY, because the body develops a tolerance for this drug and the longer you take it, the more your body needs for it to be effective, therefore you have to keep increasing the dose, which is not good for you. Has anyone else been told this? Anyone taken Xanex for a LONG period of time? I really don't want to quit taking this BUT the doctor knows best, so I will. Now the doctor put me on Prozac and told me to wean myself off the Xanex. She said to only take the Xanex when I had a panic attack. I'm kinda scared of the Prozac. Some days are okay on it, but today I wanted to jump out of my skin. I had to take a Xanex to calm me down form the Prozac!!!!!Any comments? Suggestions?

Prozac should not be making you anxious. Also, Xanax is very addictive and can effect long term cognitive function. You really don't want to be taking that every day. It sounds like antidepressants have not been much help to you. I personally was on antidepressants for years growing up (like 10 different kinds) and none of them ever did anything. Except Xanax. It zoned me out. And I actually did take it a few times as needed during a very difficult period of my life for severe anxiety. But don't you just feel zoned out and numb? Is that really any way to live? I think you would be much better off figuring out why you are having panic attacks and if your OCD is situational, like perhaps a coping mechanism to deal with trauma. That is what it was for me when I got diagnosed with it years ago. Then as I got better at managing my anxiety, and worked on my self esteem, it just went away. I was also on antidepressants for years and then finally an antipsychotic which made me gain 25 pounds which was awful. Then as soon as I moved away from home I got off my meds and just decided there was nothing wrong with me. That idea, when I could believe it, was better than any drug. That is just me. I would guess there is a reason for you panick attacks. If it is trauma, go see a trauma therapist. If not, try just thinking through your anxiety. Maybe get a self help anxiety work book or something. I just really would encourage you to find another solution to your problems besides, or in addition to, medication. In my experience, having to take meds for 6 years just made me believe there was something wrong with me. They never helped, and some had side effects. There is even a chance that ssri's could stunt your growth if you are still young.

3 pills of Xanax a day? What dosage? My psychiatrist (I still take 10 mg of adderall) would probably call that malpractice.

I have had anxiety and depression for at least 18 years and tried prozac 1st.It was great for the 1st two weeks for depression but no good for anxiety.I have tried so many different antidepressants for these conditions but still haven't found the right tablet.I have tried valium and xanax and they are both great for anxiety but the doctor says to take it now and then as it's addictive.I wish there was a magic pill or my doctor would put me on something that actually works.Btw antidepressants are not addictive.