My husband started suboxone in August 2006. He believed that suboxone truly saved his life. However, he was truly acting differently as time went on. He became more impulsive, made bad decisions, and had increased anxiety. Later, I discovered that he was taken Xanax and began drinking heavily. He became unreasonable and very depressed. Lost all logic. Our marriage was ruined by now. He wanted to, but could not get off suboxone. He hung himself in our home on June 2nd (42 days ago). We have three children together and had been married for 26 years. I knew this man very well and had gone through alot of emotional baggage over the course of our marriage. However, nothing ever changed his personality like suboxone did. I believe being on it for almost 2 years was too long. I ultimately blame the suboxone for his decision to end his life. He would have never have made the decision to leave our kids if he wasn't mentally insane.

i am sorry that your family had to go thru that .i just started suboxone and have been on xanex as needed well i call dr before taking cause i couldnt sleep and there is an interaction that causes phycosis depression, anxiety so i dumped them

I am sorry for your loss. I have been on Suboxone for about a year now and I have become extremely depressed. I have thought about suicide and I have three small children and am married. If God wasn't in my life I do believe I would have went through with it. Suboxone has something called Naloxone in it and the other drug similiar is Subutex that has no Naloxone in it. I am trying this new drug to see if it works out. I think Naloxone over long term makes patients depressed. The doctors will say taken sublingually the Naloxone will not absorb in the system, BS!! Anything that is in the body goes into a persons blood stream.

Look. I'm sorry that your husband took his life. It's very sad. However, blaming it on Suboxone is not right. I've been on Suboxone for 6 years and this medicine saved my life! I was on the verge of losing everything and this got my addiction under control (no more cravings). The truth of the matter is that people with addictions are prone to depression and anxiety and are three times as likely as the normal person to take their own lives (read numerous studies). Please don't give congressmen and those "not in the know" in the medical community more ammo like this, because it could end up hurting people who have had success with this medication.

Look six years is not success by any means. You are clearly still addicted to something you are just hiding it with something that is legal and with people telling there stories you are scared that you wont be able to have that because someone is going to find out that suboxone is just a joke trust me my brother is addicted and i see the pain he goes through everyday. Thats addiction my friend (study that one). If you need if for six years and wont stop, your life is still being ruined and controlled by something other then your clear thinking. Its a crutch GET OFF OF IT AND USE YOUR OWN FEET TO WALK no-one in this world needs anything to lean on but God. I am from a family of addiction and i know more than i should about drugs at the age of 18, my dad withdrew from 2 oxy 80s a day up the nose and that was on a good day. He laid in bed for 4 days with the Bible on his chest and it was his first successful withdrawal in 10 years and is know the happiest he has ever been in his life. You will never be clean if you keep replacing it with something else. You might tell yourself that you are clean and believe it but in reality your not.

P.S if you have addiction problems listen to eminem- im not afraid.

@summerrosetucker01

how LOW do you have to be to tell someone six years is not success by any means, you dont know this person or their life and the things that this particular person has been through. Six years of Suboxone treatments sounds a hell of a lot better than six years of heroin addiction. or any heavy opiate addiction for that matter. honestly, no one gives a damn about you or your father's faith in god and how that God or the Bible is the only thing to "lean on". very cool if that worked for you, but you want to get technical now do you?

two OC 80's a day is like eating candy, try two 40mg Opana's and one 8mg Dilaudid per day, along with 20 mg hydrocodone and 60mg morphine for breakthrough pain. and thats for a horrid car accident, not for some selfish addiction to snorting oxys for pleasure or getting high. 160 mg of OXYCODONE is equivalent to just one 40 mg Opana so just know people are dealing with much stronger opiates than you might think and i wouldn't be so quick to judge.

Suboxone when used properly saves lives, saved mine so dont be so foolish you m***n! someone taking a film strip of suboxone a day is a hell of alot better than that person snorting or smoking or slamming some tar, balloons, oxys, roxies, dilaudid, opana, morphine everyday just trying to feel "normal" after awhile. DONT YOU KNOW THAT SUBOXONE HELPS GREATLY WITH WITHDRAWAL SYMPTOMS FROM THE HEAVY USE OF OPIATES OVER TIME? its like a god damn miracle, obviously it too can be abused like everything that is good. its a hell of a lot better than the outdated methadone treatments and leaves you feeling beautifully sober, almost like a glowing feeling. i cant believe you would just come on here and make some people venting about their serious problems try and feel shitty about their road to sobriety, GET A LIFE! i came here to share my experience about how Subs saved my life by making me realize how much better of a person i am when im sober off heavy opiates. you are high, or not high enough or way too high on god or something, good luck to you jerk

i have been on suboxone for years and i am not high,yes i get a good short feeling of euphoria.I do not nod off set things on fire,i can keep a job,my sanity and everything else that was missing when i used.
I am sorry to hear about the husbands suicide really but why on earth anyone would drink with xanax is beyond me.
Summrose or what ever your name is you are a jerk and cant recognize forward progress when you see it.
No body on suboxone is having a great time especially when they have been using heroin.Suboxone works but not alone you must also have will power and self control and the desire to change your life.

To all of you that say suboxone is a miracle drug i suggest you check this sight out- ***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed and find out the real truth about it i have been on suboxone almost a year at first it was great but now im having lots of problems. My teeth are rotting from long term use i have severe head aches all the time, my vision is not worth a sh*t and my stomach feels like its in a vat of acid all the time, and suboxone does cause alot more than that, so go find out for your selves.

your teeth are rotting out of your head and u are blaming the less than a year time on suboxone.you are an id**t.as for summers whatever knowing some one who is an addict or being from a family of addicts does not mean u kmow what its like to be an addict.
as for the guy who has been on suboxone for a year and is blaming it on his teeth rotting,that is absurd it couldnt be the abuse u inflicted by being a drug addict could it.Here is what you do if u dont like suboxone dont take it go back to heroin and die.
because that is your alternative and if u have never suffered through a withdrawal than dont give an opinion u r not qualified to do so.
btw why cant that person put in the web adress why would u want to keep that from us.

He did not delete the web site this site automatically did that, it must be something that is not allowed.  I understand both sides.  I have a husband that was addicted to opioid s for two years, he started using Suboxone 7 months ago and it scares me every day.  He is now addicted.  He started with three tabs that go under his tongue and is now only down to two and a half.  I am afraid he will never quit or when he quits he will just go back to using oxy again..........  What a crazy life that just brings soooo much heartache for everyone involved.  

I have a husband that has been on it for 6 years and it has helped him stay off pain killers, but I do think this is still masking something, he hasn't come to terms, he wasn't using for very long and now it has been six years. He has had skin problems, feeling dizzy and his impulses have gone up, he can be hard to be around very hyper and it is very over whelming, we are in a very tough place right now but every time I mention it to get off he gets anxiety and won't talk about this, I don't think this should be a long term drug and I am frustrated that his doctor has kept him on so long....I hope one day that he can be off this and I can be there to see him some what back to his normal!

I have been on suboxone for 1 year next week. Im 28 years old male been abusing feytonal patches 25mcg-75 opana oc all the strong stuff heavly for 9 long years. the 1st 3 years it was so much fun everything was perfect. Somewhere along the way my life became more and more unmanageable. i tired everthing i could to try and get sober i went threw 3 treatment places. i comptenplated suicied just for an escape from my terrable addiction. i have a family and it was falling apart last christmas 2010 my wife was 9 months preg with my 1st her 2nd and my addiction caused me to be terrablely selfish and mean when i didnt have anything. i couldnt even get out of bed most days. when i finally did drag my but out. it was a mind game from the start thinking is my day going to suck cause i cant find anything. i cant really describe the misery i went threw in words it just plain sucks bad. Long long story short suboxone saved my life and my family it really truly did. For me its the best thing i could of ever done. Ive had 3 good friends die from opiate overdose and i live in a small town. I known 7 people that are alive and happy because they started taking suboxone. Suboxone is just like hitting a pause button on addiction. It is only half the battle. When u try to become sober u need to treat the under lying causes of why u became a drug addict in the 1st place. Mine is because when i was 17 i got into a bad car accident and my girl friend was ejected from the car i watched her die. I have alot of issues of forgiving myself for that. It hurts alot most of the time so i try to mask that feeling alot. Some people have to endue such things in life its almost impossible for one to go threw life without some sort of medication. Be it anti deppesant or suboxone or what ever works for u. I am sorry for you husband but it is really hard for me to think it was because of this drug. my wife knows me well but she dosent know all my pages i dont let her see everything that goes on or that did go on in my head. We are all wired differntly and we get depressed for differnt reasons some worse than others.

It worked well, and has kept him sober for these six years, and I did not (and he too) notice anything the first few years. It has been in these last few years that I have been noticing. Dealing with anxiety and rashes, getting dizzy. among other things. I am glad that you have gotten your life on track and this has helped you. But I don't think it should be used long term. I suggest you be aware and research the drug and keep up with all the new stuff that comes out on this drug, and heal yourself. Don't be come dependent on another drug.

And good luck 

I wanted to see if you had an update on your situation. I am in a relationship, but i am the one addicted. I've been on subs over a year now. I constantly stay upset worrying about not being able to afford the treatment, and what will happen when I run out. In the beginning of being on subs i went back to old ways when i could not get subs, i hate to think after going this far I would fall back, but it happens every day to someone. i know i definately relied on subs to fix way more in me than i probably should have, but does it really mean i have given up on myself if i want to try to use subs for long term treatment. I am at a loss as to what i should do and the consequences that will follow.

I totally agree with you, suboxone has saved my life! I came to this page to see the long term affects of suboxone not read about people complaining about abusing the med. If you cant take suboxone properly you need rehab. I was a severe herion addict for way too long, I overdosed and woke up on a hotel bathroom floor with the police pushing the door open.The next day i got out of prison and went to a suboxone doctor and have been clean since, that was 2 years ago and everyday i appreciate the life suboxone has given me the chance to live.