Hello. I'm 48 year old male and about four years ago I started to suffer from some symptoms that doctor, later, connected with one disease called depression.
I was wrongly convinced that this is one mild disease and that I will recover soon, but I was wrong. Doctor told me that this is one very serious disease and that I could take medications for all my life, if it is necessary.
So, he prescribed me some drug called Effexor, in the beginning I was thrilled with the effect but later I started to suffer from insomnia and dizziness. Could it be from this medication?

I don’t know much about depression but I know that many of, so called happy, pills are causing a lot of possible side effect.
I did some research on this drug and listen what I have found.
The medical structure of Effexor is venlafaxine hydrochloride. He is pretty new drug in depression treatment and it has shown very god effect on people.
The mechanism of the antidepressant action of Effexor in humans is believed to be associated with its stimulation of neurotransmitter activity in the CNS.
Like I said, almost every, but especially antidepressant, drug has side effects and I will tell you some.
You could develop somnolence, insomnia, dizziness, nervousness, dry mouth, anxiety, gastrointestinal problems and nausea.

My father-in-law is a pharmacist and he has nicknamed this drug "Side-Effexor". He warned me before I began taking it that he had seen a lot of side effects in people. I was on it for at least 8 months before it dawned on me that my almost-daily migraines might be caused by Effexor.

I talked to my nurse-practitioner and she switched me to a drug that just came on the market in November 2004. Like Effexor, it's a Selective Serotonin Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor called Cymbalta. Not a lot of doctors have heard of it and some insurance companies require you to try several of the older anti-depressants before they'll pay for you to try Cymbalta.

As far as I'm concerned, Cymbalta is a wonder drug. I've had no side effects from it other than initial insomnia (which lasted all of 2 days). I don't feel doped up and haven't had migraines, weight gain or intestinal upset like I have had with other anti-depressants (Zoloft, Lexapro, Paxil CR, Effexor XR).

If the Effexor doesn't work for you, you might want to try Cymbalta.

Good luck!

Thanks Ambalish,

I read about Effexor all over the internet and in some medical magazines, and I must say, Ambalish your father-in-law is right this thing has more side effects then any other drugs. When I read all this bad reviews, I've gone really mad to my doctor who prescribed me the drug. Then I made appointment with another doctor and he put me on a Lexapro. After 2 weeks I got similar symptoms like with Effexor, but at least I could sleep better then during the time when I used Effexor.

Generally I hate drugs, but I need an antidepressant because I feel really bad :-(

I never heard about Cymbalta before. I made a little research on the web and I found that Cymbalta might be as harsh as that of Effexor. So if you have to stop taking, be careful and do so slowly. You need to read the section on how to stop taking this med. Obviously it's an hard process to get rid off it.

I'll talk to my doc about Cymbalta, because it seems that Lexapro doesn't work for me :-(

Ambalish,

I posted new topic regarding Cymbalta:
https://www.steadyhealth.com/topics/did-anyone-use-cymbalta-yet&hpr=Does_anyone_used_Cymbalta_yet_

If you have any experience with this drug, please share it there!

Thanks!

I have schizophrenia and I am doing well. However, I read about social anxiety disorder and it dawned on me I may have it. My doctor says a lot of people use effexor as well as an anti psychotic to help with the anxiety caused by schizophrenia. My doctor says think about it and come back if I want to try effexor for my anxiety. It is debilitating and it stops me from holding down a job and forming a relationship. Does it work for social anxiety? I have read of the side effects and some people it works for and others have horrible side effects. I am confused. Should I try it? What are the side effects?