This was a great follow up to Running With the Buffaloes.

Unlike most sports related books, this one actually followed a high profile athlete through a season filled with adversity and frustration. That might be why I liked it so much. Watching Alan Webb struggle and try to get back on track during his last season of collegiate running makes you appreciate what runners go through en route to their championships and records.

It also brought to light the question of whether or not top runners should stay in college or go pro right away. Chris Lear shares differing opinions among other high profile runners. Experiencing Webb's season bounces the reader back and forth as to whether or not he should have remained in college, or if it was better to go pro when he did. I don't think we'll ever know the answer for Webb, but it does make you think about the future of US collegiate running.

The book also did a great job of showing you the challenges of trusting your coach. And how coaches have to deal with other people giving their runners advice. And how runners have to decide whether or not to listen to their coach, other trusted advisors, or themselves. Marla Runyan's book also touched on this, as she went through several coaching changes in the book. The relationships between the runners and coaches and external sources can be quite complex.

As for Webb, I like the guy. He likes to lift weights like an animal. He'll attack track workouts like an animal. There is so much upside to his future. The key for him will be gaining experience and learning the strategy and mental discipline required to take on the world's best.

Oh, and what Running With The Buffaloes did for Colorado recruiting and teaching us about Coach Wetmore - this book does the same for Michigan recruiting and letting you get to see how cool Coach Warhurst is.

Great book.

I've had this on my reading list for a while. Good to see some positive stuff on it.

I still haven't read either Chris Lear book. Too much to do and too little time, but these are bubble sorting up towards the top now. Thanks for the review!

I loved Running With the Buffaloes. that's a great book.

i just started reading running with the buffaloes. seems cool I'll have to read "sub 4:00" also.