before a session of speedwork?
before a race?

I've been thinking about it the past few days, and I don't think I've ever warmed up enough for a race. Being that I've never run more than a mile before... and I'm starting to think a mile should be minimum. What say you?

I didn't do any warm up before the 5K I just did and honestly, it felt about the same as when I do warm up. :shrug: I don't have quick leg turn over, so getting prepped for that is never an issue.

I usually run 2-3 miles before a 5k. Sometimes I'll do 1 mile when I wake up and 2-3 at the race.

I think 2 before the race is my sweet spot.

I'll do the 3 if I want to see the course first.

With warmup / race / cooldown - I usually hit just over 10 miles on race day.

It really comes down to how fast / long the race or speedwork is. If the race is longer than your typical training runs, that I would keep the warmup to a minimum. You only have so much endurance, and when racing long enough that you need all of it, don't waste any of it on a warmup. On the flip side, if I'm in good shape racing something short, I'll do a pretty extensive warmup to make sure I get my best miles in the race itself. When in great shape in college, I would do 3-5 miles, stretching, and 10 x 100m before a 5K. Using my current profile as an example, here is how I'll typically feel in a training run: 0 to 3 miles - Tight and often kind of achy with my achilles injury. Not into a comfortable rhythm yet. 3 to 7 miles - Strong and with a nice rhythm. Faster for the same effort than the first few miles for the same effort because I'm nicely warmed up. 7 to 10 miles - Getting fatigued. Pushing the limits of my endurance, so pace will start to slip if I've been pushing at all. 10 miles and up - Survival mode. No training yet to support this kind of distance. As I mentioned above, the goal is to use the best miles in a race. That means I might do as much a 3 miles warmup to put the entire race in the 3 to 7 mile "best" zone. With a 10K, I'll only warmup a mile or so and then use 2 miles of my warming up zone and my 4 "best" zone miles to keep from getting to far into the fatigued miles at the end of the race. I'm doing a 15K this weekend, and since this is really pushing the distance compared to my training, I'll do almost no warmup. My warmup miles are better than my fatigued / survival miles, so I would rather be warming up the first few miles of the race than be dead the last few.

I usually do a 10-20 min warmup plus some strides at the end before a race or speed work session. It also helps to do a cool down jog/walk of a similar or slightly longer time span after the workout to flush out the lactic acid from the leg muscles and to speed up recovery. I even found that doing a 15-30 min walk after a long run helps quite abit in recovery the next day.

Actually this is part of what prompted me to ask this. You did run 10 miles that morning, and while it wasn't exactly a warm-up, I think it helped to loosen up the legs. At least I imagine it would. Thursday I ran 6.5 in the afternoon at a pretty good pace. Then at night I ran 1 slow mile, then 2.5 at a 6:00 pace. I feel that the earlier running helped more than hindered. I normally only do a half mile or so before races, and for some reason it came to me that it's not nearly enough. I like what X and Craig said, I think the last miles before fatigue are the best, so I guess for a 5 or 10k figuring the warmup is easy, but what about longer races? If you fatigue at 10 miles, how much do you warm up for a half marathon? I think next [5 or 10k] time I'll try to do about 2 miles.

I am going to defer to Coach Craig, runaroundsue, Pebbles and all of the other kick butt distance runners.... but I think I remember reading from other top folks that they actually do very little warming up before half and full marathons, if any at all other than just getting the nerves out. I could be confusing things with the quilting forum again, so apologies if I just posted really stupid advice.

For a races of a half marathon or more, very few runners do more than some very light stretching, a little walking, and possibly just a couple minutes of light jogging to calm the nerves. Very few people are in good enough shape that a 2 mile warmup will help them in a half marathon.

A couple years ago, I got a pass as a semi-elite runner in a major marathon. I was standing at the starting line literally by myself, with the rest of the 20,000 people behind a barricade. We were actually past the scheduled start time, but none of the really serious runners were there. Then within a minute or two of the gun going off, the door of the building right next to that start lines opened, and out came all the Kenyans and the eastern European women. The walked to the start, and that was it. I don't know how much warmup they did in the lobby of that building, but it couldn't have been much. I think they just kept warm and tried to relax.

I really think for most of us non-elite, the first few miles of the marathon and probably half marathon can be used as a warmup and also as a means of not going out too strong (leading to burnout later). But I know very little, so don't listen to me.

[unrelated anecdote]Before my marathon Getto Booty Beth and I didn't do anything really, except be scared, laugh at the idea that WE were doing a marathon and pray. ALOT. Meanwhile, all around us are these people jogging the streets over a mile from the start over an hour and half earlier than the start. LOTS of people. GBB and I look at each other sort of like "what freaks??" then there were so many people warming up we starting looking at eachother (who had resorted to standing in one place so as to not use too much energy :fubby: ) like "What breed of lazy poser are we?? who are we kidding, we're going to run a marathon today?!? :umno: " of course we did it but that day really made me think about warmups too... [/unrelated anecdote]

Do NOT use the Pokychick method of warming up. 1) drive to race with just a few minutes to spare 2) run to pick up chip, number, and tshirt 3) run back to car to drop off tshirt 4) run to potty line 5) do the potty dance while waiting in line 6) run to start line

I did 2 miles today before the race. I think it worked out pretty well - I had a great race. I'll try about 2 next time and pass judgement to make sure it's not a fluke.

That sounds a lot like mine and Noley's warm up at RnRAZ. :)
For me, a half-marathon or more is just some light stretching like has been said before. I'll use the first couple miles as a warm-up and will sometimes do a quick stretch after 2 or 3 miles.
I've not run anything short in a while so I'm not exactly sure what I'd do. In high school, I used to run the cross country course before the race to warm up and prepare.

personally i can't say i go for a distance for a warm up, i do best with 30 to 40 mins of low level (50% hrm) activity. nothing really strenous but get the blood vessels open and the blood moving. helps release the fats into the bloodstream to be ready for use. i tend to do this for both distance and down to a 5k.

10-minutes... works for me.