hi,

i am currently a freshman in high school and i have a few questions.
first of all, i am new to running, as i discovered it durring the XC season and now it has become a great part of my life.

first question: i was wondering if i had a chance at being a good runner by my senior year in high school, and if i had a chance of maybe going to college for running. ok, here are my track times from this last winter season. mile: 4.57 min 2 mile: 10.42 min
are these times good enough for me to have a promising running career? do you think that i could work on these times and be good by my senior year? any imput would be greatly appreciated.

ok, second question. this one might be harder to answer seeing that most of you are not freshman in high school, but here it goes. does one season of running make you a lot better? i was wondering if i was going to do lacrosse or outdoor track this spring, and i was wondering if me not doing a season of track would hurt my times. i will still be training as much as i can in between sports and school. so again, the question is, how much does one season affect your running, does it make you THAT much better?

thanks for any imput!!! :D :) :D

Your mile and 2 mile time are pretty darn good for a Freshman.

What kind of distance do you want to concentrate on? (1600, 3200, 800, etc)

i wish to concentrate on nothing shorter than a 1600. but i do wish to really get good at XC, i am planning on running a lot of miles this summer. like 60+ miles a week, mabye even 70 miles!!

If you are gonna concentrate on the 1600, you should probably do some speedwork, (intervals, repeats, etc), to develop your speed. A nice high mileage base is good too

From what I have read, your body will probably improve more by continuing to run through all 3 seasons. If you want to get ready for XC in the fall definitely work on your summer runs. Just watch the distance. I don't know if you need 60 or 70 miles a week for a 5K race.

Good Luck.

HCR,

Get in the pool and start a swimming routine. Don't let your coach burn you out with track work, you're still young.

I think 60 to 70 mpw is too much for beginning. You have to gradullay increase you mileage or else it can cause injuries.

Runner's world has many good articles on running. They also have forums, but these are much better. :)

first off, if you just started running and posted those times you have a promising career.

I'd suggest Daniels Running Formula....a great book on running, training plans, etc...it could give you all the types of information you are looking for.

Also, send me a pm, if you have any other questions.

thanks for the help.

ya i dont know how my summer training scheldual is going to go this summer. i am planning on getting that book, i hope it will help me plan. i was wondering, does anyone know of any good training schelduals that get you in good shape for a season of running, not just one race? i want to be in great shape by the end of the summer, but i also dont want to reach my peak until the end of fall. soooo, does anyone have a good schedual that doesnt lead to a fast peak?

Although of course there are many different specifics, if you want to reach your peak at the end of fall but still be in great shape during the summer, its actually very simple.

Summer - lots of miles, basebuilding
Fall - really start laying into the speedwork

Trust me, that's what I did (and i think is what most people say to do) and I got a LOT better. Of course there are many different training schedules i could give u but i guess since they are leading up to a race you wouldnt want them.