Hello, I am 6'3" and 220 lbs. I run 30 mins on a 3 mile course. Is this really bad? All of my friends seem to be alot better than me. This is my third year in high school cross country. When I started i was 6'0" and weighed 270 lbs and ran the same course in 58 mins. I know that my time has improved alot but is there any way for me to drop my time down alot. I have 3 weeks before league finals and i want to get times in the sub 20's like my friends. Is this even possible? My shin splints hurt too. I usually take 400mg of Ib Proufen at pratice and 800mg at a race. Is that stuff bad for me? It helps with the pain of shin splints alot. Considering this is my third year i am very pitiful. I want to do better but i have no idea what I am doing wrong. I dont want my last year of Cross County in High School to suck. Please someone help me. I feel very discouraged with my progress. :(

No, I don't think you suck at running. It sounds like you have improved quite a bit. I'm no running expert, so I couldn't tell you if you can improve greatly in just 3 weeks. But hang in there, and watch the shin splints. You might be trying too hard, or not warming up properly.

Good luck!!

Thank you for your encouragement. Is there any way to imporve really quickly. Like a definate way to lose my excess pounds and trim my time down. I can easily tell by looking in the mirror that I am over weight. According to my doctor I should be 180-190 lbs. My biggest problem is being consestant with my pratices. During the race i sprint ahead and get in the top 3 for the first 300 yards and then fade back to the last three . Yea... could my biggest problem be mental? Waht should i do with my mind as I am running. Also.... walking feels so nice... that is something that i should stop. I feel like i am on a ran now so i will stop. Thank you again and if anyone has any other suggestions for me i will greatly appreaicate them. I am taking three days (this is my third) off of running to help my shin splints heal some. They still are sore but today they arent as bad. I have a race on Tues. I will post my results here. Oh and by the way. On my last post i forgot to mention that I am 16 and my times were at Mt. SAC. My coach says that the course is really well-know. So that should give you a better idea of my standing. Thank you for all your future help people. :)

welcome :wavey: you've come a long way in your running, you've made some great improvements. running consistently takes running consistently! does that make sense? your pacing over a set distance will become more even if you run this distance regularly in practice, watching your mile splits. going out too fast is a mistake lots of runners make. i'm wondering what your weekly mileage base is right now.... seems you're asking alot of yourself to go from 30 minutes to sub 20 in a 3 mile course within a few weeks... that would take alot of time and practice for any runner. the worst thing you could do would be push yourself beyond your limits; it's a sure way to get an injury that might take you out of running for a while..work within your limits and do so consistently, and you'll continue to see improvements. shin splints could be from wearing the wrong shoe. make sure yours are replaced when they are worn out and that they have the right support or motion control that you need! a good running store can help with this. taking advil regularly can be bad in that it will mask the pain if you are dealing with a potential serious injury -- like a stress fracture. i wouldn't be comfortable taking it every time i run, it can cause stomach upset too. :| there's lots of good advice floating around this place. i hope you hang around. good luck in CC this year.

To answer your question...can you go sub 20 in 3 weeks.

Sorry, but NO. From the info you gave, that is simply impossible.

as far as the do I suck? question...

DD,

I am of the opinion, as a former CC coach, that anyone who has the guts to lace em, and race em does not suck. That shows pride and a willingness to work.

Some people are more gifted at running than others, that's all. If you run, and you enjoy it, and you continue to improve. That is all that matters.

Sorry, if that sounds corny...but it's the honest truth.

Thank you for all of your help and support. I am having a racve on tommorow and i will post my time here. Hopefully, i will do well, and i WONT walk. I talked to my coach and he said if i wouldnt have walked at pratice the last three years iwould probably be better . When i started walking was my only real option. Anyway, I am gonna run about 2 miles to prep for tommorow's race. And thank you alot Coach marcos, i feel the same way or i wouldnt have stayed in the sport for two years in last place. Anyway, wish me luck for tommorow!

It rained and rained at yesterday's race so i fell alot in the mud. I was really dirty when i got home. However, i tried really hard and still got 33 mins... So i am pretty disappointed at my time. To top it off 90% of the JV team cheated and got times like 23... lame.... I have another race on friday... lets pray for a good run :)

You've had incredible improvements in your times. But, like Coach said, you won't be able to go sub 20 in 3 weeks from 30 minutes. If you keep running throughout the year and work hard next summer, you'll see a significant drop in your times for next year.

And you don't suck. Anyone who drops works at it and drops their time and continues to strive does not suck, no matter what times you are running. Not being as fast and not being able to win the race does not equal sucking.

OMG!!! I ran a race on tuesday and got 25 mins!!!! I was so surpriesed. All your encouraging words helped alot. We did a 1 mile pratice the day before the meet and my coach didn't let me sink in the back and i came in with everyone else. He talked to me after pratice and explained alot of the reason I dont do so well is because i am not focused. He told me to clear my mind and not to think about the race while I am doing it. It helped and I got my 25. After the race my coach said he can tell i still am better than i am doing. On wensday he told me to try my hardest to stay with the varstiy members and i got 22 on a extremely mountianous course. On Thurday we did a three mile on a slightly hilly area and i got a low 21. We get today off before the meet. I feel that if i really push myself i could get sub 20. Anyway, pray for me that I can do something at my last highschool cross country meet.

i hope you don't feel discouraged any more DD..that is an incredible improvement. congratulations on that breakthrough! i hope your last meet was successful. it would be great if you could keep running in the off season.