Hi, folks. My cousin has been diagnosed with lymphoma. He went to radiation and chemotherapy, but I think that this hasn’t shown expected results. His doctor recommends bone marrow transplantation. I would like to find out the side effects of this. Can you name me some? Thanks in advance.

Hi, there. Bone marrow transplantation usually comes after radiation and chemotherapy. Lately, there are some tendencies in decreasing these treatments that precede bone marrow transplantation. Indications for this procedure are: leukemias, lymphoma, myeloma, sickle cell anemia and similar conditions. Some of the most common side effects are anemia, infections and bleeding. It is not surprising if you have in mind functions of three major blood cells – red ones, white ones and blood platelets. Pain is also something that patients complain on. Damage on liver and heart are also possible. You should discuss more details with your cousin’s oncologist. Good luck!