I am thinking about thyroidectomy because of my enlarged thyroid gland. It is really discomforting and cosmetically unattractive. I would like to know what side effects I can experience from performing such surgery. Is there anybody who could help me? Thank you in advance

Although side effects from thyroidectomy are rare, I wasn’t as lucky as other patients. During the surgery it happened that a nerve in my voice box were damaged and that resulted in hoarseness. Luckily it wasn’t permanent. However, surgeons say this is very rare but it may happen that both of the nerves are damaged and this may lead to voice loss and this acquires for a hole to be made in the windpipe to be made to allow air into the lungs. I repeat again, that it is said that these complications are rare.

I had a total thryoidectomy at the age of 26. I am now 31. I take my medication on a daily basis. Check ups every 3 months. I'm fine. I'd do it again if I had to. (Cancer of the thyroid)

I had a total thyroidectomy back in 1985. Both my thyroid and parathyroid glands were removed. I want to know if this has been the cause of my dental problems and teeth becoming soft.

I've had my Thyroid completly removed two weeks ago due to what I was told was 3 follicular lesions. I've had gum and tooth pain for a week or so now.Does anyone else have this problem? I'm 49 and I'm really afraid of loosing any of my teeth.

hi i am scheduled to have a thyroidectomy in 3 weeks. wanted to know if you had a choice would you have half thyroid removed or total thyroidectomy. not sure what to do. i have one large nodule on my right lobe that has been growing and is uncomfortable. 3 inattive nodules on my left side.
what should i expect after surgery?

This sounds exactly like mine. I had a FNA biopsy that showed hurthle cells. I also had 2 very small nodules on the left side that the dr never biopsied. He wanted to remove just the right side and if that came back positive go in and remove the smaller side. Luckily for me, I thought that sounded silly and I went to the mayo clinic of Jacksonville, FL. There the doctor said I should have a near total thyroidectomy, meaning the whole right side would be removed as well as 7/8 of the other side. This meant that laryngeal nerve damage would be less likely to occur, but still removing all everything. Thank goodness, I decided to do that procedure because the large side came back benign and the two little ones on the left side came back as malignant. I was shocked especially since the dr told me that the frozen biopsy done during the procedure came back negative. They were able to get all the cancer out marginally during the procedure. I am 3 weeks post operative. I've had a perfect recovery. I remember being so scared before the procedure and now I would do it all over again afterward. The day after my surgery, I stopped taking my pain meds. They were actually making me feel worse due to nauseausness. I've had a little weight gain since the procedure but that's because they haven't gotten my dose of synthroid right yet. It will take a month or two to get it where it needs to be. I say go with the near total thryoidectomy. You don't want to spend the next few years wondering "what if I have cancer on the other side" and then having to do another surgery.

:? I am 2 weeks post op of my 2nd and final full thyroidectomy....I have exp. memory loss short term, sinthroid 100 mcg toooo much, sent me to hypo. Laughing, crying, extreme energy, no energy...freefloating. No synthroid for 3 weeks more! High stress house hold...hard to function...help me!Please...many mistakes made...doc not notified of Synthroid given to me by P.A. w/no prior auth., thru own admission she and only she was at fault...my life is upside down! I try to continue normal activity but people in this house throw up roadblocks to stop me from my quests...i.e. getting job and new place to live. My sanity in ????,I need comfort and support...I cannot find it here! Edie R. I'mm 44 mom of 3 kids...very much alone, but surrounded by foes pretending to be help!Reply to _[removed]_ ONLY. Tks in advance

I had a total thyroidecomy about 3 months ago. My parathyoids are intact and working properly. I had my thryoid removed due to severe Hashimoto's Disease and when they removed my thryoid they found papillary carcinoma. I am gong to have RAI testing to ensure that all the thyroid tissue is gone (any residual thyroid tissue remains) and make sure there is no more cancer. RAI testing is the only full body test that can detect thryoid cancer anywhere in the body. I am feeling so much better but am still very "puffy" from all the steroids. I hope to be off them by the end of the month. I have heard from others that had a total thryoidectomy that they wished they would have done it years before. I am hopeful to be feeing better than well very soon.
Make sure you get yearly chest Xray and scans to detect any spread of cancer even if they did a total thyroidectomy with no spread of cancer!!!
blessed and healthy.

I had a total thyroidectomy almost 2 years ago. It did take a year or so to get the Synthroid dose right, but it was nothing extreme. I have found that exercising has been very benificial in helping me mantain an even keel. So that I don't have such extreme ups and downs. I'm 34 and have 3 kids. My biggest side effect has been with my menstrual cycle. It hasn't gotten heavier, just really painful. If I start on Motrin or something when I feel it coming on, it keeps it from deblitating me.
So for those that have just had this surgery, keep getting your levels checked and keep going. Of course if you've had it removed due to cancer, you probably have to go a few weeks without, and you won't be able to do anything! But once you are on Synthroid, try to mantain a normal healthy lifestyle. I have no idea how smoking or drinking may affect someone, as I don't do those. But I would think that they would have some affect being that they are both, in their own rights, some kind of drug. I hope this is helpful. I came here looking for answers but from what I've read, it seemed like I had more time since the procedure and should share my thoughts. Good luck everyone!

does anyone have any insight as to how you feel right after the surgery--total thyroidectomy? all the hospital told me is that I wont be able to move my neck. Anything more detailed?

Hi. I am looking at a thyroidectomoy within the next two weeks, I dont' know the date yet. What is the average recovery rate? How long will I be out of work?

I didn't get a biopsy. My chest x-ray shows my thyroid is displacing my trachea. The CT scan showed a growth that is 4cm by 4 cm with cysts. Does the size automatically mean cancer? If so, does the size indicate which type of cancer? I know that I will learn more after the nodule is removed and studied, but I'm trying to not to worry here and it's difficult.

Thanks.

Hello, I am a 40 yr old female that had the right side of my thyroid removed on 4/8/08 and I am having a complete thyroidectomy on 5/12/08. After the final biopsy came back they found to small papillary carcinoma 3 mm an 2 mm. The surgeon said to just watch it and the endocronologist said if it was he she would have it removed. I am afraid of how I will function wth out the synthroid and how long until they say I can take it again. I am a planner and it is hard to let other people have control and to be stuck guessing.

I would love to here coping strategies if anyone wants to share

Total thyroidectomy done 6/24/08. Two papillary carcinomas found. No meds post thyroidectomy due to radioiodine treatment plans -to prevent 50% recurrance risk in the neck (lymph nodes).

Post thyroidectomy syptoms include. Muscle pain, cramps, stiffness. Insomnioa, constipation,episodes of feeling crazy- disorganized thoughts, easily overheatted.

My calcium level was drawn- no word so I assume normal. I am taking calcium and vit D. I am hopeful that once I have had the radioiodine and can correct the hypothyroidism these symptoms will all go away. Any good new stories?

I am 16 and I had a total thyroidectomy at age 14. During surgery my parathyroid glands were removed and now along with Levothyroxine I have to take calcium supplements and another pill to help absorb calcium for the rest of my life or else the levels of calcium in my blood can drop and I could possibly go into cardiac arrest and die. If your thyroid condition is not threatening your health then I don't recommend that you have it removed.