I was diagnosed with statin related rhabdomyolysis. Symptoms began
after having a laporascopic Nissen fundoplication. Two days after the surgery, I was admitted to the intensive care unit, on a ventilator, and was transferred to another hospital for kidney failure and dialysis. My liver enzymes were also extremely high.I was hospitalized for the month of August 2008. Since discharge, I have had severe myscle aches and pains all over, and wonder if this is related to the rhabdo?

I had rhabo in August of 2009, I was in the ER and admitted for over a week, nearly a year later I too have muscle pains all over. Email me, I'd like to hear more about you and your story.

What is usually prescribed for pain relief in rhabdomyolysis as you are "Detoxing" the statin and the built-up muscle toxins? My doctor gave me high dose Ibuprofen to do 4 times a day and something called Relafen to do twice a day. And to drink a ton of water and Gatorade. And... basically just wait it out.

-Dave
Took Lovastatin for a little over two years

I had rhabdomyolysis when I was 14 and a freshman in high school. At football practice I was told to do 100 up-downs and was not physically able to take it. my cpk count was 165000+. Their test at the time would not test over that. I was in Wilfred hall medical center for two weeks and they had to fly in an expert from California. I am now 28 and still have problems. My blood pressure was normal before and It has been 135+ every since and steadily climbing. My blood pressure now without medication is 160+. I have noticed an increase in rhabdo cases recently as well as questions. I also have muscle pain and weakness.

I don't think I would take ibuprofen for rhabdo it is very hard on the kidneys with out it. I would question my doctor if I was you.

I was jus tin the hospital 2 weeks ago for 5 days for Rhabdo. I have been trying to find out what type of long term affects there could be. I really can't find any straight forward answers. Doe snayone have any insight? I feel like the circumstances behind mine are a little weird (it was after an hour spin class) and seemed too sudden to not have been from something else.

Has anyone seen a muscle specialist after having Rhabdo? Is that recommended?

Some have found external application of Tea Tree (Melaleuca alternifolia) essential oil and internally taken Panax Ginseng helpful for preventing the reoccurance or ameliorating the symptoms of rhabdomyolysis. Rhabdomyolysis can reoccur years after the initial incidence without the same cause such as statins or other drugs.

Effect of Ginseng:
***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

Ice or freezed food package to cool down the muscles when the muscles are overheated and have spasms.

I was also diagnosed with rhabdo and hospitalized for a week after a 1 hour spin class. If the other individual that went through this wouldnt mind telling me if you're still having side effects I would appreciate it. I have constant muscle/ leg pain that I didnt have prior to rhado and am curious if you're experiencing the same.

I had rhabdo during the end of May 2011 and I have noticed that my body cannot handle prolonged activity the same during the heat.  I also have to be sure to intensely monitor my electrolyte intake.  For someone very active, we should be intaking as much electrolytes (sodium, potassium, etc) as possible as well as water.  My cause for rhabdo was excessive overtraining over a 5 day period without enough sodium.  I finally hit somewhat of a wall and the next morning I couldn't physically use my legs to get out of bed. After more 5 days of severe pain and limited mobility, I went to the doctor for them to think I was unbelievably stubborn.  I was demanded to not workout out for a couple weeks and to limit activity for over 6 months. To this day I force hydrate, BUT with plenty of electrolytes.  Gatorade has "Gatorlytes" packs which can be added to a bottle of water, juice, or regular gatorade. I HIGHLY recommend it. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** 

As for pain, I find that I cramp more often and tend to have a more noticeable amount of muscle pain in general.  I try to avoid medicines as they often tend to hinder kidney or liver function.  I think increasing stretching and better diet, helps much more than people think.  Keep in mind that some foods are diuretics and cause dehydration (caffeine, coffee, asparagus, alcohol, etc)- avoid them when possible or at least prior to major activity.

I hope this helps some of you out there. Please know that you are not alone.  If it starts to hurt, its definitely a sign to slow down...

This is all very interesting to me.  My husband was told that he had a fatty liver and they told him to lose weight.  He hired a personal trainer and went to work.  After the second work out he was in so much pain that he could barely get out of bed.  He went to the doctor after having dark urine and was diagnosed with Rhabdomyolisis.  That was in May of 2011 and he is still trying to recover from it.  He had CPK of 69,000 and can not tolerate any strenuous workouts or even flights of stairs.  He keeps going to doctors that have him on all kinds of pain meds, but he can't live on those forever.  Am very interested in more information on this and any herbal remedies that you have found that work to help ease the muscle pain.  He has an appointment at Mayo clinic in late October.  Helping to hear more from the doctors there on how he can get back to where he was prior to this case of rhabdo.

I am in the early stages of recovering from rhabdomylosis. I was diagnosed (similar to ur hubby) after 2 days of a 5 day specialized military training. I was in good shape but did not drink enough water and it was extremely hot. Pain through my body was intense. I went to the hospital on the 2nd night. My ck level was 127000. And my creatinine was at 4.2. I was in kidney failure. I very nearly died over the course of the next 11 days. I have since recovered to a point. It's been 7 weeks. Everything has improved except for my left leg. It's extremely painful and my use of it is very limited. I walk with a cane and still can't work. This probably isn't the help you're looking for but i am finding that it seems no one has a sense of what the lingering effects of this illness are. Stairs are also a problem for me. I'd b happy to share more and learn more from u, shoot me an email. Good luck to u snd anyone who reads this.

Hi,I had my first rhabdo case in June. I was in so much pain it was making me feel faint and sick. I couldnt stand up without wanting to be sick due to the pain. My abdomanls were also swollen. Once i saw my urine was as dark as coke i went to the hospital. My ck levels were 110,000 at the peak. I was in hospital for 4 days and mistakenly released when my ck levels were thought to be 15,000. There were actually still up at 35,000 but I was happy then to treat myself at home rather the go back to hospital. 3 months on I am still unable to work out. I have tried a couple of times now and the first time back I relapsed and my ck went up to 20,000. Ever since i have been having lots of different tests. Last week I went into hospital and had a muscle biopsy done. I get the results in 2 weeks. The wait still goes on. I feel for everyone that has experienced rhabdomyolysis. It was has been a horrible 3 months, I’m hoping to get some answers soon. I also hope you all recover as soon as possible. It would be great to get advice from someone who has experienced simular. I am also still is pain and have muscle aches daily.. It is hard to deal with. So any help with be great!

Emma wrote:

HI Emma,
Sorry to hear you're havin such a tough time recovering. I'm now 2 weeks past my last post and have had an MRI. The doc was convinced that I somehow had a herniated disc in my back. That was of course, not the case. But the clear MRI gave me the green light to hit the gym. I've been doing Physical therapy and workin out hard on my own in the pool (this is good, low resistance). The pain in my left leg is unbeleivable after working out. I'm insanely frustrated. I can walk without a cane now and my leg is gaining strength but the pain is completely unchanged. Any of this sound familiar to anyone??

frustrated

Hi, I know this post is old, but maybe lots and lots of info about Rhabdo experiences will help someone searching the internet in the future. I had Rhabdo 2 1/2 weeks ago. In my case I did not get muscle pain, and I honestly don't remember what color my urine was. That's because I was in an incredible delerium, along with psychosis and paranoia. I also had severe diarrhhea. All I can remember from that night is fighting with my husband that I would NOT go to a hospital because the thought of being hospitalized scared and upset me greatly. Fortunately, my wise husband called 911. Because I surely would have died if I had not gotten treatment. When four burly paramedics showed up I was like 'OK, I'll go to the hospital' I really had no choice. I spent a day and a half in the ICU, and my kidneys had completely shut down. Fortunately, with massive hydration they were able to save my kidneys. I was transferred to a regular floor, still on an incredible rate of IV hydration, because they wanted to get my CPK down before they would release me. After 5 days I was finally released. My case of Rhabdo was caused by medication. I wish I knew what med(s) it was. I suffer from severe depression, and I was started on Parnate 3 days prior to my case of Rhabdo. So I felt certain it was the cause. But readding literature it seems it is extraordinarily rare for Parnate to cause Rhabdo. I had been a bad girl at the time and was still taking an occasional Ritalin while I was waiting for the Parnate to kick in. From whatt I've read, it's much more likely the Ritalin was the culprit. But that makes me so sad. Ritalin is really the only thing left that helps my depression at all. I was allso on Elavil (still am) to help me sleep, and I've read it can cause Rhabdo too. If I have to give up Elavil I will no longer be sleeping, ambien has pooped out on me, and every other med my psychiatrist has tried does not work. Elavil is the only thhing that works. I'm scared and I don't know what to do about my meds. Fortunately I am not experiencing the severe muscle painn many of you have reported post-Rhabdo, but I am utterly exhausted. Just climbing the stairs makes me so out of breath and feeling like I'm going to fall down with sheer exhaustion. And here my new year's resolution was to get back in shape. Like many of you I am drinking tons of water and Gatorade. The nephrologist at the hospital told me to do this until my urine looked like water. But I am afraid of the effects all these fluids are having on my electrolytes. Anyways, that's my story. Sorry it was so long. But I never in my life dreamed I would get Rhabdo; I always associated it with taking statins. Now I'm scared I'll get it agaiin. It was very sobering to hear that I almost died when in the ICU. Good luck and hope for less pain for you all. And here's to none of us ever experiencing the hell of Rhabdo again. Kat

I am currently writing from the hospital. I was diagnosed with rhabdo when I came in due to extreme pain in my thighs. It is now Wednesday and it looks like the levels have only just started to decrease. First let me start off by saying I'm a somewhat lazy college student. I've never done much excersize except casual yoga here and there. I went to a one hour spinning class a few days ago and without much hydration, that's how I ended up here. My levels were at 45,000 when I came in and are now 18,000. I am 23 yrs old and have had little to no health problems until now. I am frustrated because the doctors are providing me with very little info on what is going on and what to expect after I leave. 

These posts are the only hope I have to understanding this,

Any help is much appreciated ! Thanks! 

3/13/13

I am scared. I am a 34 yr old male, diagnosed with Rhado about a week ago. I spent 5 days in the hospital without getting much info. about long term affects. I used to work out regularly, cardio and heavy weights. Today I am scared if I will be able to walk a block without tears coming to my eyes because of the pain. Both my legs have been severely swollen for more than 10 days. The Dr. in the hospital gave me some pain med that seems to dull the pain, for a little while. But, even with crutches, I can still only take 20 steps without sitting down. And even while sitting down the pain is sometimes unbearable!!! It seems everyones case is soo different, this web page has really depressed me... will the pain ever stop?