I started with a really bad sore throat the beginning of October. The dr called in a antibiotic for me. After about a week and a half I was still hurting but not as bad (just on the left side of the throat )but went to the dr anyway. He then did a strep culture(which came out negative) . He said my throat didn't look that bad but it felt bad. He gave me another antibiotic. The next week I started feeling better but still not a 100%. Ever since then I have the pain on the left side of my throat which feels like where my tonsil was. It isn't a constant pain. It hurts off and on everyday when I swallow or yawn. I am starting to worry its cancer but wouldn't my dr have picked up on that? I was just at the dentist in August and he is all into the cancer screening and he said everything was good. Could cancer pop up that quick?? Or does anyone know of anything else it could be? Another way I describe it is it's almost like a pulling sensation/pain like when you get your tonsils out and they are healing. Does that make sense? I don't know how else to describe it. I hope someone can help! Thanks in advance!

Did you ever find out what it was? I have the same thing and it's going on 3 weeks. I already went to a doctor and he gave me some antibiotics but they didn't help.
My sinuses hurt too. Everything feels better after put some hot water in a bowl put a towel over my head and the bowl and breathe in deep. I'm thinking it's got something to do with my sinuses. I don't have health insurance and I'm afraid if I have cancer then I'll be in total debt so I applied for insurance and then I'll go to the doctor again.
Let me know how you're doing. I hope it's not cancer. :-(
Take Care

No I didn't find anything out. I'm actually really afraid to go to the dr. Are you a smoker? I am actually having a major problem with my jaw right now. I am almost positive that is the tmj. I have been reading more on tmj and it sounds like this is what might be causing my other problems. I don't have a sore throat anymore but I am worried it might come back. I also suffer from allergies all year round so its too hard to tell. I am going to the dr soon. If you find out anything let me know. Good luck!

My sinuses still feel dried up and it's still painful in my tonsils when I yawn. Those are my only symptoms now. I don't think it's cancer though, I'm convinced it some kind of allergy or from breathing in irritants.
Yes I did smoke but I quit. I think it has more to do with my occupation as a housecleaner and all of the detergents I use to clean homes. They can be really nasty sometimes.
How would tmj hurt throat? Are you sure it's not your glands?
I hope you're okay.
Hang in there.

i have the exact same symptoms.....i am freakin out, everytime i swallow the left side of my throat hurts like hell.....i cant believe no one else has found out what it is, if it helps im in maryland....i found another post on this site and 4 or 5 other people had the same exact symptoms...i am getting a little scared.....any info on this would help.

hello, just recently i'm having the same problems as ddescribed by all of you, i'm a smoker, but don't think that has anything to do with this, my throat hurts, and burns...jaw discomfort when i yawn, and it mess with my left ear canal a little....if anyone have an answer for this please let me know.

OH MY GOODNESS!
I Have the EXACT same problem!
I haven't had it for too long though.
I've had a sore throat for about 4 days, and then today, the left side of my tongue went sore, so soar it's almost numb.
Anyone get better yet?

I am having this same problem and cannot find any information on it. Seems to be getting worse although I have no other symptoms besides pain in the left side of my throat.

Mike

I am experiencing the same problem and I am very worried. I am also an occasionally smoker and I am hoping that it is not cancer. I am also feeling very fatigued as well and my sinuses are dripping.

HELP

I am having pain in the left side of my throat also. It has gone to my ear now. At first my ear just felt clogged, but now it aches with pain. The pain is so severe I cannot sleep at night. I have tried a heating pad. It seemed to help a little. I went to the doctor and he just sent me home saying it was a virus and It would pass in a couple weeks. I can't live like this for that much longer. It worries me because I am 23 weeks pregnant. The only thing I can do for the pain is take Tylenol, and only accasionally.

Well just to throw another body into the grave I, too, have these symptoms. It got so bad that I couldn't go to work for a while.

It went away and for a week I wasn't feeling up-to-par but I was able to work through the week. I noticed that the symptoms didn't start until I began smoking for the first time in several months, and the symptoms started immediately after that. I didn't smoke anymore for a while and after 2 weeks it went away. For that week that I felt "okay" nothing happened. I got around my friend who smoked about 10 cigarettes in a row (he said he had a lot on his mind but anyway) and the symptoms started back up that exact same night within hours. I believe being around the same smoke (same cigarettes too if it helps) started these exact same symptoms back up again. Could I be allergic to this type of thing?

I believe the person on the deal with smoking could be on to something so don't let that idea go down the gutter.

also have this problem and I had my tonsils out last year and it didn't do anything; my problem has been for around 3 years now, slowly getting worse and into my ear...i know it's not cancer but it's one of those things that makes me think my throat could be susceptible to it in the future...very annoying. and with all the people who keep going to the doctor over and over and they find nothing, you feel like it has to be induced by something in the enviroment...like diet soda or something. who knows. good luck with answers; this is the last time i've tried to find any in months - MCJ

I'm having the same problem too,i've been having this pain since last year April.I'm scared.I once said maybe i've got cold.And even thought that it's cancer,i've been to several Drs they only pick up that i've got a swollen gland.What made it to be swollen no one knows.I don't think it's a smoking related issue because i don't smoke.Can anyone help please

I hope this helps someone. I also have the throat swelling in the left side of my thoat, and mine is definitely allergy related. I moved to Dallas, TX from Indiana in 1999, and it was October of that month that I started to feel the symptoms. One day I just felt as if I was suffocating, my throat felt as if it was about to close. I also felt my heartrate quicken, and I also felt that fatigue. The symptoms I experienced seemed to peak around October and April in Dallas (mountain cedar, cottonwood), but it never went away. I went to a doctor who thought I had thyroid cancer. They did a scan, and never found anything. It scared me, but I had a hunch it was something else. I went to an ENT doc who looked down into my throat with a camera, and he couldn't find anything. The ENT doc gave me Zyrtec, which really helped the swelling pain. I never like taking allergy medicine because of the drowsiness, but if the pain was just absolutely unbearable, I would take it. But the swelling never went away entirely....until I moved back to Indiana 6 years later. It took several weeks, but the horrible pain and swelling finally went away. I didn't experience it again until I took a trip to Tennessee last month (April). I had the onset of the horrible swelling within just two days. I know it is allergies, so I am planning on going through the rigor of getting the graph on my back to pinpoint specific allergies. We are moving to Tennessee, where clearly the allergen that affects me exists, and I am planning on starting allergy shot therapy. I have a friend who said the allergy shots completely changed her life.

I acually have the same problem.. I had pain on the left side of my throat then now on the right. I went to the doctor and he said it was nasel drip, well it wasnt casue i took the antibiotics and it didnt do a damn thing. I am going to the doctor again to get to the bottom of it...