Hi i'm 25 years old and i was diagnosed with thyroid cancer in 2004,i had a total thyroidectomy and radiation,then in 2005 we found out it had spread to my lymphnodes and then i had a neck disection and now in 2006 i found out that the cancer is still there and they think that it may have spread to other regions of my body....Is there any advice that anyone can give me???

Just wondering how you are doing now? I just had a thyroidectomy and found out I had papillary carcinoma. They removed lymph nodes that looked questionable, but pathology came back that it had not spread. I am schedule for radioactive iodine in 2 weeks. I am afraid of what you have going on. I am only 30 years old and I have a 7 & 5 year old and also a 5 month old. I was just curious how your prognosis was going?

Going to see a internal medicine doctor and have a series of ct scans and ultrasounds lined up,still waiting to get my appt for a pet scan...the doctors say that i'm not a normal case that usually it's not like this. I actually think the hardest part of it all is the radioactive iodine therapy when you have to go on the low iodine diet!!! BLAH i love food to much!!!
As long as you keep your spirits up everythink will be ok :-)

I also had thyroid cancer and it was removed 2005. I have had 2 treatments and am going to have my third in 3 weeks. I am off all medicine and now I am having stomach issues. Just wondered if anybody else had the same symptons?

Hello, I have now finished my radioactive iodine, which made me sick for several days. Now, I have no taste for anything and my body is feeling really mixed up. Have been taking my synthyroid for almost 4weeks now, had what I had hoped to be my last body scan last friday, but something has showed up on the right side now. All my cancer was located on the left side before so I am a little confused why this is showing up and why the radiation did'nt kill it. I had my tsh tested two days straight now and my dr. wanted a target of 1.0 and mine came back a 56.8 so I would say that's probably a little high considering. I don't know any of you, but can totally relate to your fears so know that each of you are in my prayers. Best of luck and know that if you have faith you can get through anything.

Just wondering how you are doing.

I am 27 years old and I was diagnosed with papillary cancer in Dec 2006, had my total thyroidectomy and radiation in Jan 2007. My doctor cleared me on my last visit. My next blood test and appointment will be in March and next body scan in July. I am just wondering if it is normal to have back pain and joint pain if I am still hypo? I started 0.15 microgram thyroxin 2 1/2 weeks ago. Thanks.

Hello, I too have had severe back pain after my surgery. My tsh levels are still very high from being off my medicine for so long between surgery and radioactive therapy. My dr. says once my tsh levels are down to normal the muscle and back pain should subside.

I found out month ago i have thyroid cancer which was horrifying but after CT scan came to know it has spread to lungs and liver. I am already dead. I have 2 and 5 year kids and just dont knwo what to do.
My dr. says my case is very rare. he wants to take off the thyroid but not all the lyump nodes. What are my chances of survival??? I am sooo scared whats going to happen to my kids.. Please let me know what are the procedures i need to go and how long will i be all fit, i havent told anybody yet abt this news.

Thanks,

To all of you who have written because you have cancer, please read the book "Cancer and Vitamin C" by Dr. Linus Pauling and/or "Anti-Cancer Battle Plan" by Anne Frahm (I may have the spelling of her name wrong). To grossly overgeneralize their findings, they say that you can fight back cancer by giving your body a steady stream of Vitamin C - Dr. Pauling recommends 10,000 mg a day divided in four doses (ie 2,500 four times a day). His studies showed many people going into remission on this dose. Other "health nut" people insist that cancer thrives in an acidic environment, which is (counterintuitively) an environment of dairy and meat and sugar. If you change your body to an alkaline environment by taking vitamin C and eating fresh fruits and vegetables (preferably organic), it reduces cancer's ability to thrive. Please at least try the Vitamin C. God bless you.

Hi Sam,

You are not already dead, I promise. Don't panic. Medullary thyroid cancer has a tendency to spread to those places. Your chances of survival are still very good. You're just going to have to be patient because it's going to take a long time to go through treatment, but you will get through it. They may do Radioactive Iodine, External radiation beam treatment, chemo or any combination of them. It's still a good prognosis. The important part is to get the ball rolling. Be positive. The hardest part is the mental battle. You have to be focused on treatment and being optimistic. You just live in and appreciate the present more than ever. No one knows what the future may bring, but worrying about it will kill you quicker than anything else. Keep your chin up. Just psyche yourself up for the battle and hang in there. I have papillary/follicular thyroid cancer with metastasis to the lymph system so far and I also work in the medical field. I just want you to know you will get through this. Your chances are good, it's just a major pain in a** to go through and it takes alot out of you, but you can do it. Hugs

Absolutely, I also have three small children and am fighting this. Keep you head high, positive thoughts and most of all keep your faith. Prayer can change anything and our heavenly father is the best healer ever. I have been told by several cancer patients to take Apricot seeds, they have been making a hugh difference in cancer patients worldwide. Check out www.apricotpower.com and read some of the success stories. I have been eating 6 a day and my cancer is gone for now. Now I know that is was'nt only the seeds b/c I have had 3 sessions of radioactive iodine too, but apricot seeds have the natural B17 vitamin that has been proved to fight cancer. They are very cheap and aren't bad to take at all. Anything to help...also, what state are you in? I am in NC and there is a specialist here in Winston Salem that only treats thyroid cancer. He comes highly recommended and I am told is the best in the world. He is not like other oncologist that treat all sorts of cancer. He only treats thyroid...I would be glad to pass along his name and info if it is something you are interested in. I don't know how far away you are since we are talking on the world wide web, but let me know. I am told his success rate is like 99%. I was going to see him if my last scan did'nt come up clean. Let me know, I will be praying for you...

I am 20 years old and had surgery for thyroid cancer on july 26, this past summer of 07. I just got done with my first body scan a few days ago. I was expecting to see nothing and just go back to my normal life. But there was a massive dark spot still on my thyroid gland and about three or so inches down from that in my neck there was another even larger dark mass. I have the best doctor i could ask for but all he could realy say to me was, this is how it goes and told me about that i just gotta wait it out. I'm just scared because when i was in his office getting my vitals my heart rate went from 82 to 181 in less then 2 seconds, before I even seen the results. It went back down nearly as quickly as it shot up but what was that. I read on the internet that older people who have thyroid cancer have to be very careful with there radiation because of heart risks. Im only 20, i smoked cigarettes for the past 2 years... just quit three days ago for sure sense its all i can do to help. Ive smoked plenty of weed as well but is there a connection between my bad habits and my heart doing what it did, ive also been a swimmer my entire life up until two years ago. My jaw feels like its been clenched shut science i got my RAI and my stomach has been giving me so much gas im always farting. Is there something not normal or am i just being a sissy boy and need to just suck it up? If u have any advice?

**edited by moderator**

8-| Ok so now what ive been fighting cancer for six years ovarion cervical uteran and thyroid the dr sess its in the liver. lymph nodes are so swollen in the back of my neck whats up with that

Don't listen to the person about the vitamin C! People like this have been tauting vitamin C as a cure all for all kinds of illness for years, and you have to be careful and reasonable when dealing with your illness. Your body will only absorbe so much vitamin C. Also you need to be careful of vitamin C poisoning. If mass doses of vitamin C cured thyroid cancer, or any other cancer for that matter, don't you think that it would have been a cure already? I also have papillary thyroid cancer, and l have also been offered "quack" solutions to "cure" my cancer, the best bet is to have good doctors and follow their treatment plan for you. Good luck to you and God Bless

This message is in response to TasmanBayButterfly's reply to Sam. I just want to thank you for the words of inspiration. I am 33 years old and I have just learned that my papillary thyroid cancer spread to my lungs. I was devastated, but my doctor told me not to let the idea of the cancer be worse than the cancer itself. I agree that the mental part is the hardest, especially for someone like me, who tends to worry about everything. Can you tell me how you're doing now? I see that your last post was from over a year ago.