My brother was diagnosed with a bone cancer one month ago. He has osteosarcoma. The fact that I can not help him it's making me so sad. What is the survival rate of bone cancer? Can someone tell me more about bone cancer? Thanx

There are two main types of bone cancer, primary and metastatic bone cancers. Osteogenic sarcoma, also called osteosarcoma is the most common primary cancer that develops in bone, approximately 35% are osteosarcoma. It is a malignancy developed from the cells that produce bone matrix and osteosarcoma most commonly develops in arms, legs and pelvis, but usually at the edge or metaphysis of the long bone. Osteosarcoma can extend to the nearby tissues and spread beyond the original location, to the lungs, other organs, or other bones through the bloodstream. Osteosarcoma is more common in males than females. It can be sub-classified into high-grade, intermediate-grade, and low-grade diseases. Treatment of the disease and prognosis after therapy depends on the grade of the disease. Prognosis for patients with low-grade osteosarcoma is excellent, and the 5-year survival rate is more than 85%. The prognosis of high-grade pediatric patients is much better than elderly patients. The 5-year survival rate for young patients with high-grade osteosarcoma is about 75%.

I have a brother that is dying of bonce cancer, too. If you will e-mail me then we can chat. _[removed]_ Maybe I can give you some places to look.

Colleen

I am just curious about this survival rate. I have been looking it up and come across a wide range of 40%-75% survival rate. I had an above the knee amputation about two years ago and my cancer was high grade. I was 19 at the time of amputation, cancer found when I was 18. Is my 5 year survival rate 75%? Or is it less? What about more than 5 years?

First of all I would like to extend my thoughts to your brother and your whole family.

This question that you have asked is not just answered with a quick reply. Most people in your position are looking for quick up front and to the point answers. Well my friend it does not work this way. I was diagnosed with High Grade Stage IIB Osteogenic Sarcoma. It was so far advanced by the time it was found, My Oncologist stated to my family, that if I would gone another week without it being found I would have been dead. I do not mean to scare you, I am just giving the facts of the seriousness of this type of cancer.

I was rushed to Loma Linda Medical Center Childrens Hospital in Redlands California where they found a 6 inch tumor wrapped around my knee. After undergoing 6 months of high does methotrexate and I believe ifosfamide, adriomyosin which I just think the methortrexate was first. but after taking that for 6 months the tumor just doubled in size. and was no use at all any more to administer it. (NOW ONCE AGAIN I MUST STRESS THAT EVERY BODY REACTS DIFFERENTLY TO TREATMENT), this is just the way our body works. We are all going to react to these drugs on our own metobolic levels. Any ways They had to amputate my Leg above the knew and then I underwent additional chemotherapy.

I had to explain my story a bit in order for you to be able to take some sort of grip on you and your brothers sad situation.

Plain a simple....it depends on your brother.... Now before you get all mad at me for not answering what you wanted, this is just how it is. You can ask any Doctor and they will tell you the same thing. If your brother does not take an active roll in his treatment and do his best to stay on top of the situation, which is no easy task at ALL, then he will not make it to long. The chemotherapy itself 8 times out of 10 kills people before the cancer does. This chemo stuff is no joke and should be taken very seriously. A common germ to you my cause a runny nose and some embarrassment in public. But to your brother, it could take his life within a day or two, i know brother I have seen it happen more than once and it has almost happend to me numerous times. Any way to stay on track here, your brother will need to do his best to stay strong and on top of his knowledgement of his issue. Cancer is not a death sentence, its a delay in his life. If he sits there and just lets the nurse's do all the work does not want to cope with what he is going through then his chances are slim to none. He will need to get a attitude from hell and start becoming a person of Hey I can do that myself thank you very much I do not need to be pampered all the time.

Now I am not saying to tell the nurses off all the time but there are alot of things he can do on his own. With the proper nurse they just may want him to do that anyways. Trust me it is easy to get caught up with lazyness and depression that it will become second nature to your brother. DO NOT LET THIS HAPPEN OK. Your his brother and its your new duty to look after these things. Show him some tough love as much as he can stand giving his age concideration too. when ever possible get him out of bed and walk around the unit and down the hall. When his white cell count is up between treatments, take him out side and away from the hospital whenever possible. The hospital can be a very depressing place to live during treatment. You and him are going to see alot of death come and go all the time on these type of wards. its just the way it is my brother.

this next thing I am about to tell you is a tear jerker. Your going to meet alot of new roomates as well with cancer and other illnessess that your going to become very close to. And I do mean close. Your going to tell life stories with each other and become just as close as family. But do your best to not become to close and always be ready to say good bye to them at a moments notice. Reason Why? they have cancer too and could loose their life just like that :( it may be a crapy thing to say brother but these things can bring your brother down in a moments notice and there fore bring his imune system down as well leaving him even more open to infection and depression which could lead to bad thoughts. When I stated before to try and get out when every possible, by all means I meant that. Try your best to get day passes or week passes to go home and spend time with friends and family who are not sick and happy. When he is at home do your best to talk about fun things and friends school and family. If he has girlfriend advise her to keep her head up and avoid crying on him. Tell her to be positive to him and love him.

All these things play major rolls on his current and long term survival.

Now if your looking for vital statistics. Well the above plays with that too. He will need to change his diet and exercise routine to that best fits his strength ability.

keep him away from fruits and vegtables. These can take his life real quick. They are full of germs and little living bacteria that can make him sick and end up on a bed he does not want to be in. Do not let him swim in pools or Hot tubs. These are swarming with germs and will crawl right up his central line stright to his blood stream like stink on Bio. Dont do it.

always remember to stay positive with your brother and spend time with him when ever he wants to. Dont push things on him as well. There will be times to where he will need some time of his own to relfect and think on what is going on around him. But then come in after these times and try to talk things out that he is concerned about. Dont always act like you have the answers because let me tell you, you dont, no one does. This is nature and nature always has its ways of working its own ways out. Be a brother and try not to mask things like notthing is happening to him.

After time your will realize that this will become routine to him and he will let you know what he will want and needs. But just remember brother. Do not let him give up during times when he thinks he cannot go any further. Now if he ever comes to the point like me when you have been dealing with cancer since 1993 when I was 17 yrs old and I am now 32 well then may be he can then say hey look brother I think I want to call this chemo thing quites and just live my life as happy as can be from here on out. But even then, that decision is touchy. I have had my leg taken, one lung and 3 disc's in my lower back as well as damaged kidneys and organs. there were alot of times to where I jsut wanted to give up but I stayed the course.

Try to make him see sometimes that there is always somebody out there in a much far worse boat than he is and that he can do this.

When you all master this brother, your on the road to recovery. I have been cancer free for 10 years now since 1997 and then it came back in 2006 to my back and I have had no chemo at all just surgery to remove it and I am still kicking my brother.

Pray when all possible and you and your brother will live a long and happy life. But one last thing that every cancer patient should know.

Chemotherapy is not a cure :( , it just prolong's your life and that is it. Some times chemo itself will cause cancer. So play your cards right and do not over chemo because you may need it later on down the road. If you over load on one type, the body will become immune to it and it will no longer work for you.

Keep your head up guys and Simper Fi

Lots of love

Chris.

PS...If you ever need a person to talk to my number is always there.

Chris 503-763-7196 I will get to you right away if I am not there ok. All cancer patients are my brothers and sisters and you two will soon learn that.

For a direct answer to your question. Osteosarcoma is no joke and its survival rate is well .....wishy washy. I do not believe in percentages and c**p like that. If that was the case then I have proved them all wrong.

You will be just fine if you head the above advise. make your brother tough and try to make him fend for himself whenever possible. if he really wants something bad enough, then he will get it himself. but during his treatment times he will be sicker than a dog...during these times do your best to get him what he needs. Yuck.. :cry: .. i can still see the chemo to this day and know its tastes. man its horrible. But you guys can get through it. LOL

Chris

My daughter died from osteosarcoma, in 1999. I don't know why but today I just started reading up on it just to see how the doctors have progressed. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like much has changed. We live in the Denver area and had the best medical treatment possible at the time. My daughter had it in her left tibia, just below the knee. She had been feeling some pain and we had her Xrayed by our GP on a Monday we kept getting referred to specialists very quickly. And by Friday she was receiving Chemo to prepare for her limb preservation therapy. Other tests had been run and she had metastatic tumors (nodules) they called them in her lungs. I never asked what the prognosis was I believed the Lord would heal her no matter what. I found out after her death that they gave her a 20% chance of survival the first year, none after that.
They were able to remove the tumor rather handily and do an extensive limb preservation surgery to save her leg, but they were literally trying to save her life first. The Chemo succeeded in shrinking the tumors, so we thought we had beat it. 11 months later the tumors returned in the lungs. My daughter was prepared for surgery and they removed the nodules with labroscopy, small incisions in her back, these were extremely painful although not very invasive. I have said all of this to say this. The surgeon, very successful told me before the surgery that if he did an open sturnum surgery (like open heart surgery) that he could feel the lungs and do a better job. But we never believed that our daughter was in such danger, we couldn't agree to such an invasive procedure. During the surgery a third of her right lung was removed. 8 or nine months later another third had to be removed. Then seven months late their were more mestatasies now in the diaphram and around the trachea and esophagus. Anyway she died after five years to the surprise of all the doctors.
I often wonder if we would have allowed the doctors to remove the right lung in the beginning if that would have saved her life. You always have these afterthoughts. I guess the question is whether your brother has metastic osteosarcoma. If he does his life is in danger.
Most of the chemo my daughter received is still on the lists of chemos they use to treat the disease today.
On the bright side the success rate of treating osteosarcoma when there is just the tumor on the bone is about 75%. Our doctors in Denver had a success rate of about 87%, better than the national average.

I don't mean to scare you just inform you. I hope I have helped.

Gary Wile

My son is ten and has osteosarcoma. He was just diagnosed this past June. June 6 2008.....I remember it like it was yesterday. He was playing baseball and came home from a game one day in April said his knee was bothering him. 6 weeks later it was still bothering him. So we took him back to his knee spec. and they took an xray femur bone, just above his knee. The doctor saw something. Well that something was a huge tumor. I knew something was wrong cause the doctor could not tell me for sure. They sent him to the hospital that day for a MRI. A week later he was in a cast cause he fell and broke it. So they had to put him in a spika cast for 3 months hoping that chemo would shrink his tumor. The 3 mths of chemo killed less then 10% of his tumor. On Aug. 29 2008 he had surgery VanNes Rotationplasty. Now he is on a intense chemotherapy. We will be done with chemo in April and are waiting for his bone to heal so we can start working towards a prothesis. The doctors can not tell us why or how our son got this. That is the hardest part in this journey of ours. It is not over for us. The next two years will be like walking on egg shells. It can come back and there is no way to stop it or no way of knowing. when he is older he might have kidney, bladder problems or leukemia when he is around the age of 15, from these chomos he is on there is a good chance he can not have children.
Stay positive with your brother. My son and I talk all the time about what he is going to be able to do when all this is over. Swim, ride his bike. go back to school, basketball, football, baseball......so everyday we stay strong so we can get to that day where he is going to walk again and play again.

I just attended my grandfather`s funeral. He died from Bone Cancer. The most disturbing thing of all he weighed less than 40lbs. Why the extreme weight loss. I would appreciate an answer.

my mother-in-law was first diagnosed with liver cancer then is spread to her lymph nodes and now they say it is in her bones ribs and spine. they have said she is lucky is she lives 6 months. she is getting a very high dosage of chemo, but she is not reacting good to it at all. she is having every side affect there is. does she have a chance? will she be here next year?

My boyfriend was just diagnosed with Bone cancer 3 days ago...Im so scared and i dont know what to do.
:cry: i want to find out as much as i can and i want answers too. Message me so we can talk!!!

im 22 ive survived the bone cancer that started in my knee n matastisized to my femur and both of my lungs.. i found out after my daughter jus turned 1 months old..they told me i was in the stage 4 and had very little chance to live 15-20%.. and with 9 months of chemo and 6 different surgeries.. im still here i have been cancer free for almost 2 years now..im living proof never give up hope.. fight

hi. my name is shantelle.. im 22 years old..or i should say young.. i was diagnosed with bone cancer 1 month after my daughter was born. the cancer started in my left knee and spread to my femur and both of my lungs.. they told my mom i only had a 15 % chance to survive.. and that was over two years agol..after having 9 months of chemo and 6 very serious surgeries. im still here and i havve been cancer free for a year and a half now.. my daughter is as healthy as ever.. if anyone ever needs any one to talk to.. ive been through it, i kno the feeling and i wish i would of had someone to talk to who understood.. so please im here for anyone.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed **
Please read our Terms of Use

Hay all of yall just qiut worrying so much especially the girl with her boyfriend, look survival rate is 99% just take it easy just because their sick doesnt mean any thing, unless the cancer cells spreaded to his or her lungs then you might have a 50% chance, but just pray to god and things will get better, promise email me if you have any other questions or if you just need someone to talk to, remember your not alone, I went through the same thing and yes I was verry sick but the more you fight the better you get....put a smile on that face..... and you can ask me about side effects...... :-)

I just buried my son last week. He was nearly 20 and had had osteosarcoma in his arm for 4 years. Because of the incompetent doctors it had spread to his lungs at diagnosis. The chemo shrank over 95% and he had 18 months remission but it came back in his lungs, arm and lower spine. More chemo - reacted really well to it but the spine tumour grew and for his last month couldn't get out of bed. He was trying more chemo but a lung infection got him and he died just a few hours later. The feeling of loss is incredible but we knew it was inevitable. Just because you've been clear for 1-5 years means it's not grown big enough to see yet.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you and we've very sorry to hear about your loss. It is always a tragedy when a parent buries a child. Thank you for reminding us that cancer has a long-term prognosis.