I have been taking adderall, daily for about 5 years. I am just wondering if taking adderall for a long period of time will weaken your heart, or cause something else. Are there any long term effects of Adderal?

I have been taking adderall for 10 years. I have always wondered if there were long term effects as well. Over the years I have done research on this and have not found anything. From personal experience, I have not experienced anything out of the normal side effects. I have remained in good health. I did stop taking it for 6 months to try to learn how to deal with my ADD and I only experienced some withdrawals...but that is only b/c it is an amphetatime, which can be habit forming. I'm sure you know. However, I do not take it on the weekend or when I do not need to focus as much (when im not at work). If anyone finds any long term effects, please please please let me know. I am probably at risk more than most since I have been taking it for a good while now.

Of course we've all looked for research describing the long term effects of adderall usage, but the data doesn't exist- the research has not been done... or has it? Search *** for the effects of long term amphetamine use, and you'll find mouse/rat studies performed to evaluate the effects of recreational use of adderall-like compounds. Yes, these drugs, including Adderall, are incredible detrimental to physiological processes- particularly if you've undergone 'puberty' while being prescribed and taking the medication. I'm a genetics scientist that has been taking Ritalin and subsequently Adderall for 18 years now. Long-term adderall use is synonymous with long term methamphetamine, dextroamphetamine, or amphetamine use... sugar-coating a compound (which is actually done to make it more appealing to younger kids that have to take it) doesn't change its amphetamine makeup.

I have recently started taking Adderall and I was wondering the same things you guys are. I found this website that you might want to check out. It is specifically geared towards people who take Adderall while not having ADHD, but the effects of it intrigued me and got me thinking... whose to say someone who is actually diagnosed with ADHD doesn't have the same effect. It is a miracle pill and there has to be some negative aspect to it!
So, check this out.
psych.umn.edu/courses/spring05/dionisiod/psy3061/add.htm

Amphetamines can cause neurotoxic effects due to excess dopamine being broken down and oxidized. Amphetamines can damage your dopamine system beyond repair. This however is more likely a result of amphetamine abuse. Nobody knows if daily use at clinically prescribed dosages can cause this over many years. Unlikely, considering all the ADHD kids who grow up on this stuff, without adverse effect. To be safe, i would take an antioxidant.

The key concept is whether or not patients are using prescribed doses or abusing stimulant mediations. I'm a 2nd year medical student and I've taken adderall on and off for about 7 years now. My daily dosage has never exceeded 30mg and on average I take about 10mg a day XR.
I have actually decreased my dose from what I was taking about a year ago. While any medication has to be weighed for its benefits against its potential side effects. I think its problematic to equate prescription therapeutic doses with abuse...which studies that discuss neurologic damage are used to do. Its important to check out the methodology..methamphetamine does not equal amphetamine; furthermore the dose and the method in which its used (i.e. snort, injection, smoking) makes a significant difference also.

I know how u feel, i'm only 19, and ive been on Adderall for 10 years as well. I honestly think that the long term effects, personally, are psychological...and too complex to be confident in saying. As far as the physical long term effects....ive experienced cold and clamy hands and feet for years now, and sometimes...if i don't take it, or i'm exercising, my hands and feet swell up, turn red, and my veins show much more...its a little scary actually. Sometimes i can't even feel my toes and fingertips, which is hardly noticeable unless i'm using them, but who regularly uses their toes anyway? anyway, its still probably not very healthy, especially when my feet swell up because it hurts to even walk. BUT since ive been on it for so long, my hands and feet look normal only when their cold and clamy, and look embarrassing otherwise
I have a hunch that it may cause arthritis as well, i write a lot, and my hands are so tense all the time and i just keep pushing and pushing as i'm motivated by the Adderall. It seems that when on Adderall, i can endure physical situations that would otherwise be undesired or even painful. . From being on it for so long, i think my body actually sort of shut down, i don't know whats wrong with me. I just wanna get out of here. I'm in desperate need of help.`I'm so young, its not too late, and thats the only thing that motivates me to stay positive. My childhood may have been taken from me, but the only thing i will allow to take the rest of me will be myself, not these stupid pills...and im scared it will come to that, i don't want to take my own life, i want to live it. I don't wanna fall into this hole, i want to redeem myself and my childhood with a happy ending, i just don't think its possible with these pills at my bedside.
And without them, i'm a little girl, back at the beginning...its terrifying. Thoughts of confusion, regret, loss of control, carelessness, recklessness, impulsiveness..so much more, but what hovers over me the most, is the feeling of my life being a great big lie, a tragedy....as if it was someone else living it for me as i slept in the back of my head for 10 years. I get emotional, and have major anger problems to the point where i actually want to physically torture or hurt my boyfriend...which ive done way too many times. It gets intense, and i obviously cant hold a steady life with or without these pills. Sometimes i just think "hey, im a 19 year old girl, sh*t happens, its just a phase and ill get over it"...but i'm starting to think of that as an excuse now, and conciquiently, I HAVE NO ESCAPE FROM MY ANXIETY, its unbearable...i'm a wreck. I'm about to blow, ive felt this way my whole life..stuck in my head. I'm so young, and so sad, and sometimes i can see what my life would be like, and its beautiful, and it gives me hope. I know its not just the medicine, (my doctor even had to nerve to tell me adderall isn't addictive) And on that note, its a lot of things, but at this point, who can tell? Adderall is most definetly a factor, and nobody can really tell me different, because i know how i feel> and if they can, i would love to be able to believe them because that would give me some hope at least. Ive got so many overlapping symptoms, and if i try and fix one thing it screws up another...its just a vicious circle...an internal war. Someone help me please...this has sort of become a life and death situation for me, and i would feel pathetic if i went out without asking for help
--Lauren

the worst is the bruxism I've grown to intertwine with my OCD tendencies. It started in year 3 of taking Adderall XR. I have been on 60mg a day since 2003 now. I cannot see a future without it due to my past experience with what it can do for me. Life is bleak and gray, but at least I have my orange beads.

i have never answered anyone on a site before. I am a mom with 3 teenage children who has been on anti anxiety and depression medication for about 6 years, trying to cope with divorce (marrying a clue less bastard) who did not know how to be a husband and a father to our beautiful children. I am writing you a note because your writing style and the way you express yourself is quite incredible for someone who is only 19 years old. My advice to you is to keep s e e k i n g and you will find the answer. You sound very bright and capable. Never give up on yourself.
As a Christian, I hold on to one of god's promises. God will give you back the years that the locust has eaten. The feeling of loss is a really crappy feeling, but one good day can feel better than 50 bad ones. God has given us eternal life, and you have this life and eternity to live. Do not despair. You are on the right track. Do not over doubt yourself. Keep up the search. from a mom who cares

I was prescribed adderall in sixth grade, my grades did not improve though i was far more focused. I applied myself to video games. I realized after a couple years of taking the medicine that it improved my performance playing games and started abusing for that reason. I accidentally got myself addicted before i really knew what drugs were. Now I'm 26, 11 years or so later, I've been off it for about 4 months, I don't have enough energy to get out of my chair, let alone my moms basement. I have uncontrollable jitters when i take the medicine now and unsteady hands all the time. I have very irregular bowel movements (from diarrhea to constipation, depends on the day) and my mind seems VERY foggy except for a brief time after I wake from a good nights sleep. Also I can't speak as well as I once could. I don't expect much to change at this point, I've healed about as much as I'm going to in the last few months and certainly I'm through the physical withdrawal. I should say that I abused it very heavily for about 4 years, also that adderall is the only drug that I've used significantly. The long term effects of overuse are crippling.

This is a post from a seemingly reputable blog that talks about adderall long term use et cetra Long term effects of Adderall

Lauren,
I'm sorry that you are hurting so bad - I'm not just saying that either, it sounds terrible and I feel for ya. I have ADHD and I had a horrible childhood and adolescence. I'm not trying to take away from how you feel, but there there are a lot of people who have rough childhoods. It's IMO the worst time in life. Fortunately, as you hang on and keep working on stuff, everything will get better. I know for me, my life still sucks sometimes, but the good outways the bad by far. You might not believe me, but there is a very good chance that your life will get much much better as you continue to live and grow. In some ways, you might find that you are even better off later on because going through so much as given you unique abilities and strengths. As you get better (and you will, i promise) you might even decide to spend your life helping other young people who are having trouble.

It doesn't sound like the people around you are doing all they could to help you. I think it's great that you reached out to us for help. YOU NEED TO SCREAM FOR HELP TO THOSE AROUND YOU. If your parents don't listen, call 911 and say you're suicidal. That might sound nuts, but that would force someone to listen to you, get your meds right and get you into counseling. It sounds like you've hit rock bottom. Going to the hospital could only help now. I've checked myself in and it really gave me relief.

Here are some things that have really helped me:
Walking - You might not think so but it makes a huge difference for anxiety.
Counseling - I've changed a lot for the good from talking things over.
Writing - You seem like a great writer. This can be a real relief.
Reading - Physiological books, philosophy, literature, etc.
Helping other people and spending time around people.
Screaming really loud.

Remember, the most important thing to do is take some kind of action. Sometimes taking a drastic step to help yourself can do wonders to pull you out of depression.

I'd love to talk to you more. My e-mail is (take out the star).
Take care and good luck,
Isaac

this article goes over the long term effects of adderall - it should be an interesting read for those posting in this thread

Lauren,

I want to begin by saying, you are not alone with how you are feeling in regard to the negative effects that Adderall is having on your life. I was “diagnosed” with ADD my junior year of college and prescribed Adderall. I was faithful to my prescribed dosage for a little while, 20mg twice a day. But over time, I began taking more and more pills. Throughout the past few years, there have been days when I’ve taken up to 100mg in one day. I guess that would end up being five times more than my prescribed daily dose. I had and I still have a problem; I've continued to struggle with my addiction since I made that first date with the devil, four years ago. With that said, I can relate to many of the characteristics you mentioned, specifically, the feelings of emotional instability, uncontrollable anger, and ultimately, feeling as if you are unable to control the intensity of your emotions.

It was so wonderful in the beginning wasn’t it? Yet somewhere along the line those positive feeling you first expressed towards this “magical-problem-solving” pill turned negative, and what you once thought of as a wonderful solution to your problem, has ironically transformed into the core problem. Looking back it may seem as if with each pill you consumed, you lost a small piece of what made you, who you are. Yet, at the time, you were oblivious to what was happening. You weren’t able to see that little by little, the girl you use to be was disappearing. Unfortunately, it’s not until you really look in the mirror, into those eyes staring back at you, that you discover the reflection gazing back is no longer someone you recognize. The eyes that were once filled with unique golden flecks that portrayed who you were perfectly, no longer glow as brightly as they did before; the lively, spunky reflection that you use to see now appears bleak and lethargic.

Nevertheless, you can change the path you are currently on; you just have to make the decision to. You have to wholeheartedly want to make a change. You are the only person who can get your life back. You are the only person who can bring back the girl you use to be. I believe you can do it. In fact, I’m confident that you can. You’ve already taken the first, and probably the hardest step; you were honest to yourself. By admitting to yourself, that somewhere along the way you lost control and the Adderall took over, leading your life in a direction that you do not want it to go. Be proud of yourself, believe in yourself, and make the necessary changes in order for you to get back in control of your life.

Remember, you’ve already taken the first step; the best direction to go from here is forward. You CAN do it!

“You save yourself or you remain unsaved.” – Alice Sebold

Hi Lauren, and others,
It's nice to hear some honesty about the nature of this drug. I have used and abused the drug for 6 years now on and off. I know how you feel. you too, video game player. i also have had a lot of self questioning after stopping the drug... it's different having a mind that is able to wander again. i also have had the foggy headedness and the poop problems... mostly constipation for me, i think bc my body used to be so used to having the help of a stimulant that it doesn't work properly on it's own anymore. i do have to say tho, that this is getting better! adderall shaped our minds.. and our actions and urges for so long that we're not used to having any self-control or self-discipline. i have found that forcing myself to excercise regularly really helps with the body and mind problems that come from being off of the adderall. Also, I just try to take things one step at a time. I say ok, i'm going to put my laundry away. I'm not motivated to do it but it will take 30 minutes of my day. I can do that. And then when a task is done and i found my own motivation for it rather than motivation that comes from a drug, i feel better. you also just have to forgive yourself. realize that you will get better and just do the best you can in every moment from here on out.. there is no sense dwelling on things you can't change.
Lauren.. obviously you have an energy that people can sense and love just through your writing so i'm sure you have good energy in real life. Let me know if you would like to chat on IM or something... I think that we could relate to each other and that I could help you.
Things do get better! I promise! While I will be honest and say that I have gone back to addy (not for a few months now, but I have..) I did spend a whole year off of it and I got myself to a place where I felt good. I want to get back there. You can too.
Love,
Michelle