I suffer from chronic pain and have been looking into different medications. I am currently on vicodin, but this has had many side effects for me as well as not being as effective as I would ideally like it to be. Can you tell me what gabapentin is like? Is it good for chronic pain and what are the side effects?

What is your diagnosis if it is OK for me to ask? The side effects of gabapentin go up with the dosage. Tiredness, drowsiness, and swollen hands and feet are not unusual in patients using gabapentin. With long term use of gabapentin, there are also renal risks, especially if used in high doses.

Hi there. I have epilepsy and have used gabapentin in the past. I had to come off gabapentin (which was torturous, but that is a whole other story!) because gabapentin made me really depressed. I am normally a good natured and optimistic person, but gabapentin made me suicidal! It was a very unpleasant experience on the whole.