Hi, I will have a surgery next Monday, and I am scared because it will hurt me for a long time. I will have to use the strongest analgesics for severe pain, and I haven’t decided yet which one. Anyway, it will be some opiate, but what censers me is if they have some serious side effects I don’t know about. I could use some advice.

Hello, I have been using many different opiates for my cancer pain. This pain is unbearable, severe and chronic so I never worried about side effects, as long as nothing hurts me. But it doesn’t mean I didn’t have any. On the contrary, I often have headache, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth and constipation. For conticipation, a grait help are fruit, tomatoes and tomato juice. You can take them before taking medicine. I met some other patiens with cancar who experienced different opiate side effects, such as hallucinations, hypothermia, delirium and confusion. These side effects are infrequent, but many people have them. Now, I am using oxycodone(percodan), which is one of the strongest opioid analgesics used for cancer pain, and has similar effects to morphine and heroin. However, I heard that morphine also helps.

I agree with seith the side effects are minimal all he listed are the basics the pain will be diminished and tell ya the truth you wont be that worried about side effects compared to the pain relief you will recieve I would go over it throughly with my doctor but he is gonna tell you the same things as seith,I hope you do well with your surgery and pray you come out okay without any complications or side effects.