Has anyone use Neurontin/Gabapentin for Bipolar or Anxiety? I got some of this drug from my sister for treating my psychological problems. I am not sure if this is correct, but I am willing to try. I just need to learn more about other people experiences with Neurotonin/Gabapentin. If you have some personal experiences, please write.

I had some psychological problems and was prescribed with Neurotonin/Gabapentin. My condition has improved and I am good again. The only difference between you and me is that I got it prescribed and got from your sister. If I were you, I would do first some checking, for allergies and stuff. In addition, I would consider consulting with my doctor.

I have been using this medication for OVER 10 years, starting in November 1997 to treat my BI-POLAR condition. I have had NO problems with the medication OTHER THAN the V.A. has downgraded the drug to NON-PSYCHITATRIC. Which means, that I have to get my prescription filled through my general practitioner at the V.A. I also take the drug for PAIN as I have had (3) back surgeries.

XD "Mr. Jim" :-D

I also have been on Gabapentin for several years for panic attacks. To me this was a wonder drug !!!! I was'nt able to drive, go in to stores or do many things by myself. After I was put on this drug I have a much more normal life.

Dr. Fink, a psychiatrist who specializes in bipolar disorder posted on this topic: blogs.psychcentral.com/bipolar/2008/10/bipolar-disorder-medication-spotlight-neurontin-gabapentin

According to what she says, Neurontin isn't very effective in treating bipolar mania, but the side effects are generally few and mild. My wife tried it for bipolar mania, and from what I've seen, it did little good.

I've been taking Gabapentin for several years now as a mood stabilizer for Bipolar. It does a great job if I remember to take it. Once I start to get hypomanic though the Gabapentin doesn't work and I generally require a sedative.

I suffer from rapid cycling and mixed epsiodes with my bi-polar disorder. Everything that I have tried has failed me except for Neurontin. To me it is a miracle drug. I did not respond to Lithium and Depakote made me like a zombie. Neurontin has also helped with my anxiety and I no longer have to take Ativan. I can't say enough good things about Neurontin.

I realize that this is a bit late of a posting... lol. I apologize, but Neurontin, in my opinion, is the best bipolar medication I have every had! they tried wellbutrin first, but that made me SUPER rapid-cycling when I was a teenager (like up down up down up down in one day), then they gave me Depakoate with Neurontin (and trazadone for sleep)... I didn't think the depakoate was doing much for me & my mom didn't really know any better because she had NO idea what was really going on inside my head, but after my dad refused to let me have my medication anymore (he thought I was faking everything for attention) I had been able to sneak JUST some neurontin a few times..... Taking about 600mg twice a day was a better STABILIZER for me than the other stuff I'd tried (including marijuana, lol) I wouldn't say I was necessarily a zombie, because it wasn't like I couldn't interact with ppl or would get tired or pass out... I know that some ppl say it makes them drowsy, but I was happy that was a side-effect that I never had from it! I was just able to go through my day without anything "getting" to me... If I didn't want to cry, there was no way you could make me... and even hyper- if I didn't want to laugh, you couldn't MAKE me... If I had insurance, I would DEFINITELY be back on gabapentin now!

This is late but I just started gabapentin a day ago.. I ended up spending all day in bed, very drowsie. I take half a 600mg before bed, around 11. Todays my second day and it actually hasn't put me to sleep, its currently 3:30am. I'm wondering if I just slept in to long, or if its the medication that's keeping me up. I've been on many anti depressents, cymbalta and abilify, but then I found out I am actually bipolar.. currently I'm not depressed, its when someone ticks me off or something happens where I can't get out of the state of mind, angry, sad, anxious... I also have bad anxiety, to the point I can't even go in stores.. I'm hoping this helps me, I'm a little worried how the medication is suppose to help sezures.. I'm only 18, if anyone can give me info and how it effected them (if you are bipolar & have anxiety) it'd be appriciated.

Hi.  I started to use Gabapentin a few months ago for post-shingles neuralgia (pain) and found that my bipolar II disorder seemed significantly easier to manage.  I use Seroquel as my mainstay bi-polar drug,  but I now think that the Gabapentin has helped with the anxiety I suffer along with the bipolar stuff.  I am sticking with the Gabapentin to see how things unfold,  but definitely my anxiety has decreased over the past few months and suddenly,  everything is much easier - talking, driving, planning, cooking, doing my daily 'stuff'.

Best wishes,  Sue

Hi I was wondering how you ended up liking the gabapentin? I just currently got diagnosed with bipolar, and I have severe anxiety. I am now unable to even go to the store due to my anxiety. My psychiatrist Prescribed me gabapentin+ but medications make me scared. Would you recommend this medication? Thank you.

misslabeff, I have bipolar II disorder. I have been using percocets to keep me happy, energetic and 'normal' feeling. It's too expensive on the street and draining my bank acct. A friend gave me neurontin last week. I've been taking ever since and feel normal again. I don't even need the percocets. I am now weaning myself from those. i'm so excited that I feel normal again. I've been on so many diff meds and none work for very long, if at all. I pray this one will be the one for me, long term. Time will tell. ive been taking 800mg in the morning w/ effexor xr 150 mg and 1/2 mg of clonazepam at bedtime. I do think I need another dose of neurontin in the afternoon. Haven't tried it yet since I am limited to what my friend gave me. I do not have insurance and can't afford to see a psych. I'm hoping my fam dr. will prescribe to me. Fingers crossed!!! How do you like it so far? Are you still on it?

I have started taking gabapentin 3 days ago.  I was prescribed it for major depression, substance inducted mood disorder, general anxiety and social anxiety.  I can't believe the difference I already notice. I have already noticed I'm a lot more happier. I actually have motivation to do things and I'm getting along with my family. At moments I feel heavy yet still great. It's hard to explain.  I have hope that this is right for me. I have taken so many antidepressants and other drugs over the years with no help. I would suggest it to anyone with similar problems. 

This was a great string to read!  I am 49 and I was just recently diagnosed with bi-polar II - was always treated as just depression.  Was having a hard time controlling the anxiety and I was just prescribed the gabapentin today.  From what I have read above I am optimistic this might help. Thanks for the positive posts!

I am Bipolar1 and have been on Lamictal, Gabapentin and Lexapro...thanks all for the heads up on Gabapentin... I only take