It looks like I am having herpes zoster – shingles! I never thought I will be the one with this condition but that is how it is. Now I have to take my therapy and I have been prescribed with gabapentin. I have even heard that it might induce weight loss. I wonder if that is true, it might help me deal with two things at the same time.

Well, weight loss might be the one of the side effects but also, weight gain too. And the shingles problem is not even the main function of gabapentin, it actually deals with seizures associated with epilepsy. And what is even more curious, the exact mechanism of its effect is still unknown. But the important thing is that it works, right?

Gabapentin was created for the purpose of being an antiepileptic, but the fact is, it doesn't work well for that purpose, and therefore they no longer prescribe it for that purpose. It does, however, work well for chronic pain, such as the pain that lingers after shingles. However, weight gain is pretty much inevidable, as a side effect. It is prescribed for many ailments from bipolar disorder, to depression, but it is NOT used as an anti seizure medicine anymore, as it does not work to stop seizures.

hi

i am exercising and my appetite is still the same as before taking gapapentin and my weight gain is getting worse.  I desparately want rid of it and back to my flat stomach..any ideas?

Quote:

hi

are you taking anything else other than the gabapentine?

it may be expensive but have you tried cocaine, speed? 2-3 weeks on that daily and youl lose stones
gabapentin also mixed with any opaite doubles the effect, bit radical, also being an absolute id**t
dont take this advice as im only kidding peace n love

I'm taking 300 mg per dose, twice daily. Drinking ice water, cranberry- banana- plain Greek yogurt smoothies At breakfast. I do floor exercises including Pilates, yoga and hand weights for 30-45 minutes 6 days per week. Elliptical for 20-30 minutes x3 per week. I watch my diet, moderation in everything and have been losing half pound per week for the last 8 months. It's frustrating and a lot of hard work but you can take gabapentin and not gain weight. 

The Dr. Tried Lyrica first and I ballooned! Gained 3 pounds per day, retained water like crazy. Perhaps if you have a similar issue you could ask to try something different.

Good luck.

My Doctor prescribed 600 mg twice daily - I only took 600 per day and gained weight in just two weeks.  I've quit taking it as of yesterday after reading about all the weight people gained.  I think it's water retention but I'm not taking any chances on ballooning up, which is where I was headed.  I don't see my Dr until March so hopefully I am going to be OK off this drug.  We shall see. 

no gabapentin will make you put weight on for sure I have been on it for 4 month and have put on a stone at least

Gabapentin is used to help control partial seizures convulsions in the treatment of epilepsy.

Weight gain is not inevitable. I take it, and have no weight gain at all.

I just started take the same dose as you and I swim 14 laps every day. I try to eat nothing but chicken and leaner than lean porkchops and veggies with eggbeaters for breakfast. I lose about a quarter of a pound every other day. Staying away from carbs to help my diabetes. I try to eat under 30 a day. My cholesterol is way down (there is no choles. in eggbeaters) But I would lose a lot more if I could just go off the gabapentin for 2 weeks!! I'm taking it for the diabetic nerve pain, it gets rid of the pain about 80%.