I am on Methotrexate for a few days already. I have heard that generally, the incidence and severity of acute side effects are related to dose and frequency of administration. My friend that uses it for a long time told me about some serious side effects of it. I didn’t consult my doctor about those side effects yet because I didn’t feel anything, but I am a little bit afraid. I would like to know something about side effects of Methotrexate, to know what I should expect.

The most serious side effects with Methotrexate are discussed under organ system toxicity in the precaution section. This section should also be consulted when looking for information about adverse reactions with Methotrexate. The most frequently reported side effects include ulcerative stomatitis, leucopenia, nausea, and abdominal distress. Some other frequently reported side effects are malaise, undue fatigue, chills and fever, dizziness, and decreased resistance to infection. There are some side effects that should be discussed by organ system. Cardiovascular system might be affected with pericarditis, pericardial effusion, hypotension, and thromboembolic events. Here are included arterial thrombosis, cerebral thrombosis, deep vein thrombosis, retinal vein trombosis, and pulmonary embolus. Central nervous system reports headaches, drowsiness, blurred vision, speech impairment, and hemiparesis. There have been case reports of sometimes fatal opportunistic infections in patients receiving Methotrexate therapy for neoplastic and non-neoplastic diseases. Stress fracture is one of musculoskeletal system problem, or side effect that might occur while using Methotrexate.

[methotrexate has changed my life. i am completely clear of psoriasis.
i do have side effects - such as abdominal pain, chest pains, tiredness, and inflamed lungs. so what. clear skin is an absolute pleasure. my kids can hug me without me feeling acute pain. i would rather die tomorrow than have psoriasis haunt my body again. i love my life, my kids and my husband without soreness. this is finally me, free of skin hurt. 8-|

Hello! Are you saying that you don’t mind the side effects that this drug gives you, that they are bearable?
I was reading about this skin condition and it sounds really though.
I hope you don’t mind me asking but I would like to know a little bit more. In what way did this skin condition influence your life? You said you were in a lot of pain. I was reading that the skin may bleed and crack.

I realize there is no cure for it, right? What about this drug methotrexate then? Did your skin get clear with it or the skin lesions are still there and you feel pain free? Do you have to be on drugs your whole life?

Thank you very much for your time!

Greetings all and thanks for all the shared information. I am new to RA (2 months now but my Rh factor was 91 (YIKES). It's in my hands and feet and creeping elsewhere. I took my first dose of Methotrexate yesterday. (15mgs per week) Today I have a fever which I am trying to keep minimal with lots of water and tylenol.

Since I am new, some of my questions may seem simple and BUT I am sincere here so please help. Of course I've been in denial over the last 2 months but I am ready to be serious now.

I am an active mid fiftes woman...I even biked over the weekend...but I've been on prednisone for a 2 months (now only 5mg) and so was feeling almost normal....

My basic questions to start

Do you take Methotrexate for ever?
SHould I be on a more agressive (and expensive) treatment
Which med and how much or how long. What does that cost?
After you are on Methotrexate for a time does the pain subside?
What do you do about colds, sinus infections etc.?

There are a lot of forums out there...which ones would you recommend to exchange information.

Thanks so much to everyone.
Joanne

I am currently taking methatrexate 4 pills one day a week, mobic daily, and metanx daily. The pain decreased but never got to a comfortable level until I started the alkaline diet. I had to change a lot of my eating habits. I have been on it for over 2 weeks and some days I feel normal. The pain is reduced about 90%. I am 61.

I am starting methatrexate tomorrow. I take 5 mg of prednisone a day and will start folic acid with the methatrexate. The dosage is low - three 2.5 pills once a week. What are some of the ill effects I may encounter?

I have been on Methatrexate for 2months now. I am finding that I sweat alot I actually wake up sweating and there is nothing I can do to control this apart from standing infront of a fan, I then risk getting a severe chest
infection. I also have a lot of mouth ulcers, very annoying. The worst of the side effects I have is being tired all the time and dreading a new day. My zest for life is not there anymore. It is a hard decision to go off the drug and feel the pain or stay on it and feel the way I do.
After I take methatrexate I feel ill for a day or two.Good luck to you I hope you have less side effects than me.

I am 34 years old and have been on 10mg methotrexate now for a few months, and it is great. I have seronegative arthritis, and my knees are the worst hit areas, but I do get it in my shoulders, hands, and feet as well. I find I get headaches quite frequently and wondering whether anyone else experienced loss of libido. This is noticable when I have to double my dose to 20mg, when my knees get really bad. Other than that it is pretty good.

i am 35 years old and i have SLE(lupus) last year i took echinacea and it caused severe pain all over ny bocy i flet like i was paralised my family had to do everyting for me and i have 2 young chhildren who helped me alot my doctors put me on methotrexate 2 tablets once a week but i had to go down to 1 and a half as the i suffering bad side affects severe nausea and headaches. i do get a lack of libido and my memory is not to good has anyone else notice that as well. i tend to have nausea 6 days a week but if i eat more often it keeps it under control. i take mulivitamins to help with the immune system. i have been on these for about 5 months now.

ask your pharmacist about methotrexate before taking it...my husband has been on it for 10 years and once you go on it apparently you cant just go off it!! now we hear about an injection instead of taking those pills, expensive but i dont think the pills are good for you..

hiya im on methatrexate
the first time i was on it i was on 10 mg and i was on it for 6 months and i had a scare i had to come off and have a organ scan and blood tests every week to make sure my bloods went back done to normale levels then i had to wait 6 months to go back on it again

im on 7.5 now once aweek with the folic acidand iv been on it now for 1 year and have the blood test every month

im on it because iv got rhumatide arthritis and psoriasis.
it cleared my skin rite up but i still get the pain in my joints every now and then

but i still get the head acks and the libido lose but good over ways the bad as iv got kid the clear skin means all there friends ent asking my kids the questions wots your dad got and all the other one that they come out with and then my kids just dont know wot to say

I am 25 year old man. I have been treated 2 years (I was 22) by methotrexate injection (25mg/week) for crohn's disease. I quit methotrexate 1 year ago partly because of side effect (I was really tired, depressed and I faced loss of libido) and because of new treatment came to be available for me.

I am glad to ear somebody complaining about loss of libido coincident with this treatment, since my physicians did not take it in account.

I had to face hard time studies and bad work condition in the same time so I still don't know what was the cause.

What is concerning me is the fact that since I quit methotrexate I did not recover a good libido. It's actually even worst. And to define more clearly what I call loss of libido, it's actually a loss of sex desire. Everything else is working well.

I hope it's reversible and I think I'll visit a specialist pretty soon.

Thank you. I think you help me a lot in that decision.

I have also been recently diagnosed with RA and tried denial but it doesn't help
>:(
I had my first dose of methotrexate yesterday. And I'm at work today, exhausted, weak, and sick feeling. My stomach is not at all happy about it - nor is my skin. My RA is worse today than yesterday before I took the medicine. I hear that it takse a while to work. And it better be good when it does. 'cause I HATE this feeling! I can't imagine how it will be as I increase the dosage. As soon as I took it there was a horrible taste in my mouth and nothing tastes right since.
Will this get better/easier? If I have to take this stuff the rest of my life, it better get easier!

I'm 37 and was turning into a statue. I felt like a prisoner in my own body. I must admit I agonized over taking methotrexate for over a month and did get a second opinion from another dr, I'm also in the medical field so I didn't take the dicision lightly. I have psoriatic arthritis and ankylosing spondylitis, aka "bamboo spine". I really felt like I had to take the chance and so far I'm still on the fence. I took my first dose and woke up with the worse case of strep throat I have ever had and it took over two weeks to get rid of it and multiple rounds of antibiotics. It was a resistant strand and spread to an eye infection. I just got my second dose today and must admit the nasua and fatigue is bad. I was smart this time and santitized my entire house and hopefuly will dodge another infection. oh and the bad taste in the mouth is there too.

about the libido, I noticed a serious decrease in sex drive while I was on antidepressants and pain meds I did notice an increase with exercise. I know that no one wants to hear that but so far walking and swimming have helped me just as much as medicine if not more and my sex drive as of today is good. so we'll see if methotrexate slows it down. I walk over 2 miles every morning and sometimes again in the evening. I also do water aerobics twice a week. I would also like to know if anyone knows a good diet to follow for arthritis? I know we have trigger foods and so far I know chocolate is one of mine, "what a cruel joke". 8-|