I have been diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis A one and a half years ago. On Methotrexate X6 weekly and 2x Loxiflam daily. For the last month I have a sore throat. Al well till I eat something in the morning. Then it starts. Sore, thick feeling in throat, headache, tired (more than usual). Is this just one of the symptoms of R A. I did see a GP. No redness in throat that looks like just a normal infection.

I am very worried about the link between RA and throat / lung/ heart problems- I have had recurring throat problems - undiagnosed lumps, chest pain on occasions , sever rentention - could these symptonms be connected to RA ?

it is possible to develop throat problems with RA, I lost my voice for 2 months when i first developed RA and still get problems, particularly when i am flaring. I am also on methotrexate though now on a lower dose than you because of the Humira injection i take once a fortnight but the problem occurred before i was put on methotrexate and i was told thought the RA had affected the joints in my throat which is probably the same as what you have, it doesn't show as a normal throat infection because it is joint related not viral.
Its horrible I know and nothing seems to help though I did find that heat packs around my neck did seem to relieve it for a while. It may pay to see your rheumatologist and get it checked, it maybe you need a change in medication.
hope that's of help to you. we have to support each other with this horrible disease

I am 49 years of age and suffer with debilitating psoriatic arthritis. I too suffer with intermittent sore throat problems. I am on an array of medication including methatrexate. I have recently stepped up a grade in pain relief taking 20mg per day of oxycodine and other prescribed breakthrough pain relief medications. I have problems with pain in my jaw when chewing food. Unfortunately the pain in the throat rings does not seem to be relieved with these medications when flare ups occur. Other problems related to this disease are bad enough without having problems swallowing.I also would be very interested in hearing of a treatment or tip which aids this problem.

Wow, there really is RA of the throat area. I was told my lump was part of the collar bone where it connect in the throat area. Some times it hardly even is there and other times it is so annoying it makes me swallow more than I need to. It has never hurt though. It use to scare me till I found out what it was and made sense because I do have RA in many areas of my joint, which also come an go, depending on weather I guess.

I have other problems and do not want to get into any more medications. It is asthma and IGE , problems with my immune system and am getting xolair shots ever two weeks so I try to get through my RA problems with Arthritic Tylenol. It seems to help some, but I refuse to take it daily.

I do hope it does not get any worse, bad enough I get lung infections quite often and have to get back on prednizone to bring it back in check along with antibiotics. We keep trying new stuff and pray that soon the xolair will do it's job. If not, I go right back to using preds and anitbiotics ever three weeks, and my hair is not liking that , no is my face. I finely got the moon face all donw and do not want it back.

Any Ideas would be great, like the heat pack aroud the neck, will give that a try.

Wow, ask and you shall receive. Searched RA & sore throat ! I was just told (this week) my rhumatoid blood work came back positive as did my Lymes ? I a being treated with Doxacyclene, Prednisone and Vicaproufen...how can I have a sore throat I ask myself ? well after reading these statements I see how and the Vic's dont completley relieve it either. This is tough stuff, the pain I have been getting in all my joints is unbelievable. My first flare I went through 12 Vic's in a 14 hr period and then went to the hospital and got two shots for pain. I will find out soon if the Lymes is for real, the RA drained my knee and sent ithe juice off to the lab to confirm or deny the presence of Lymes.Does all these maintenence drugs you guys talk about being on control this wondering pain of the RA ?. I am supposed to take 2 5mg of Prednisone a day but that does not seem to be enough so I am doing 3 with a Vic here and there to ease the pain. I see my Rhu Doc in a week and will get the rest of the story then, in the mean time thanks for your posts they were very helpfull to me. I guess this puts me in with all of you just fighting to get through the day.

Hi, I had the same problem for nearly two years. A bout of bronchitis followed by predistone and antibiotics. Finally found out that i was suffering from Reflux and since I am taking Nexium for the reflux i have not had bronchitis... Hope this helps.