My mother is diagnosed with rheumatoid arthritis. I know that this is a serious disease that deforms joints. Her doctor recommends methotrexate as a solution. I know that this drug is used in cancer treatment. Is it safe to be used for RA as well? I would appreciate all your replies considering this.

Providing doses are followed correctly, and the appropriate dose of Folic Acid is taken alongside your Methotrexate it should be safe. I have been on Methotrexate for around 5 years, with only minor side effects of nausia and fatigue.

It is very improtant to follow the guidelines in the pack, do not drink to excess, or take medicines such as Asprin or Ibuprofen which can cause problems with your liver or Kidney functionality.

The doses used to treat RA are much smaller than doses used as chemotherapy to treat cancer. However, due to potential side effects or complications it is very important that your mother keep up to date with regular blood tests.

Audrie ... Her arthritis may be caused by an intolerance to wheat. Look online for "arthritis and gluten-free diet". Some arthritis sufferers are seeing their pain disappear ... without drugs. The answer for them is the elimination of wheat from their diets.