My son is showing signs of schizophrenia and the doctors are already talking about the need to have him use medication. The drug risperidone has been mentioned more than once. If it is inevitable that my son will be on meds eventually, probably on risperidone, then I really need to know everything about the side effects that are associated with risperidone. Can you help?

im sorry to tell you this but the side effects of anti psychotics are very bad they include obesity and anhedonia that means nothing will be enjoyable for the person long term use side effects include heart disease and liver disease and eventually premature death other side effects are parkinsons disease and worser schizophrenia i know a person with paranoid schizophrenia and the anti psychotics actually made him worse. there are other drugs besides anti psychotics that treat schizophrenia like anti depressants they dont sound like they would be good for schizophrenia but they are because they lower dopamine levels schizophrenia is caused by high dopamine levels.