We have four kids, all boys, and the second youngest, who is 6 years old, has just been diagnosed with ADHD. Our oldest has Asperger's so we are already pretty familiar with the special needs mill. Our doctor is trying to push ritalin on us, but I am not sure what the best thing to do would be. Yes, I am sure that things would be easier on us if our son would be on ritalin, and I am sure the whole family would run more smoothly. Is ritalin really the best for HIM, though? What are the side effects of ritalin in children?

I am really glad that you are taking the time to weigh the pros and cons and do the best thing for your child. You are great parents! Some people on ritalin say that it inhibits their feelings, their creativity, and makes them feel slow and lethargic. And of course ritalin is extremely addictive.