I am taking 1 mg of Risperidone a day just before bed time to treat psychosis. 7 months ago while i was in the hospital i was under alot of stress dealing with anxeity, depression and dellusions. Before this psychotic episode i used to "enjoy" playing ice hockey, water skiing, hanging out with friends. Now im hardly experiencing any pleasure, emotion, excitment when do these events. I feel emotionally flat. I was wondering if its the "medication" thats making me feel this way or am i still recovering from all the "stress" I was under while in the hospital?

I also take 1MG of Risperdal and feel flat. My libido also sucks and I am hoping to either stop the medication or change it. Have you been able to stop the Risperdal and have your feelings come back?

I went into a cannabis induced psychosis after vaporizing some already potent weed. It couldve been laced, I'll never really know. I'm on risperdal now, and my libido, as well as the consistency of my ejaculate is weak. I also have a hard time laughing and finishing movies. I hope this stuff doesnt have lasting affects on your system. If someone who has come off it could respond I would definitely appreciate it.

I take 2 mg of riperdone every day and I can't stand the lethargic feelings. i feel flat every day and produce no emotion whatsoever when having conversations. Sometimes, i can't even think of a good response to say, it's like i'm not living anymore. It's very hard to get up in the morning and difficulty with my appetite. I hope to get off this numb skull drug soon.

I'm experiencing the same flatness of emotions. I did some searching and found a couple of people who seem to have permanently been affected by this. I've stopped Risperdal for a week now with no difference in motivation.

Time to sue?

Anyone else stop?

Waterskier,

Maybe you should ask your doctor to switch you to another antispychotic. Are you still experiencing emotional flatness?

Hi, I was on 2 mg/day of Risperdal for 2 years and am experiencing the same exact things as others in this thread. I haven't taken any Risperdal for over a month and I still feel emotionless and have trouble making a conversation. I don't know how to describe it, I don't feel that depressed, just like part of my brain is disconnected and I can't think of anything to say. I KNOW it was the Risperdal. I can't even think of anything to talk about when with my own twin brother, and we have always been very close. It is very frustrating.

My therapist tells me I was depressed since high school (10 years ago) but I didn't start having this problem until I took Risperdal.

hi risperidone takers
i had been on risperidone for 2years. I have come off it twice. It takes a while before u will feel any difference. I have now been off it for 6weeks and i can tell the difference.
Before whilst on it my friends described me of having no facial expressions. i also had truoble watching movies and engaging in conversation. even while on the medication it takes a good few months before i was able to watch a full movie ie my concerntration came back. as regards to talking a believe it is a loss in confidence. psychosis strips you any any confidence you may have had. through a lot of support and therapy i am slowly regaining my confidence. I also gained 15kgs. Have any of you experience weight gain and increased appetite?
there is a light at the end of the tunnel but it may take longer for certain people.

I've personal experience with this drug for 10 years now. I started out at 135 lbs. and am now 187 lbs. I am 5' 2". You do the BMI calculations! My hip to waist ratio is also way out of whack. Before I used to gain on the hips and thighs. Now it's all stomach fat...the dangerous kind.

When I first went on anti-psychotics I was on Zyprexa. I soared up to 182 lbs. and kept going. The doctors were so concerned they switched me to Risperdal, which they claimed I would plateau on eventually. I am taking 1 mg. a day for persecutory delusions. With proper exercise and diet in the past I have been able to go down to 160 lbs.

However, at that time I did not have my husband's support in the diet department (things have changed a lot in 10 years!). So I was not able to really test how low I could go with effort.

At the time I weighed 160 lbs. they decided to try me off Risperdal to see if my problems were just a one time thing (okay, DH and I pushed for this). I dropped 30 lbs. in 3 months. Yes, the change was that dramatic. I couldn't stay off Risperdal though...and 8 months later had to go back on. I gained 30 lbs. in 3 months.

Doctors and other patients tried to convince me I was wrong...the weight gain was not due to Risperdal. Not likely!

As for other side effects. I don't know what else you're on but... at first I was really lethargic and fuzzy headed. Even dizzy and suicidal. Definitely unable to concentrate.

I had been taking supplements before going on Risperdal...so I naturally assumed the problem was the Risperdal. Then one day I forgot to take my supplements and my clarity of thought came back. Not like before, but a lot better. After a few trials to be sure, I decided to try something different. I started buying supplements that were in gel caps or liquid form only. I solved my fatigue problem for the most part. As far as I'm concerned the Risperdal reacts with some filler in the majority of supplements.

I started researching alternative treatments for delusions and bipolar (they are undecided about this diagnosis). I ended up reading a lot of Dr. Abram Hoffer's material and other people's. I have started doing some mega-dosing of vitamins and minerals that are water soluble only. That way any excess my body can't handle gets flushed out of my system on a daily basis. I also use lots of vitamin D to stabilize my mood so I don't need to go on a stronger dose of Risperdal. I have also used acupuncture to help with success.

Another trick my psychiatrist used was to change the way I took Risperdal. Instead of splitting the dose between morning and night, she had me take the full dose at night. That way I am not starting my day at 10 a.m. I can actually wake up at 7 or 8 a.m. It's made a huge difference in my quality of life. However I inform my husband not to expect anything great from me after I take my pill in the evenings. But usually that's just before bed.

I get that flat feeling you express so well. I don't mind it too much. but I can feel it's definitely the drug holding me back. It's like there's a disconnect between my brain and the rest of my body. It keeps me calm. I don't panic over any delusions I may have...which I haven't had in awhile now. I only have problems under extreme stress...like when Mom committed suicide a couple years ago. That was hard.

I don't seem to have any libido problems! Especially now all the kids have left home. ;-) But my poor husband is 57 and he's struggling these days to keep up to me. At first I did have problems, but once the dose was lowered and I went on these various vitamins/minerals, I didn't seem to have a problem. In fact we often joke about going to the doctor and complaining about the reverse problem! ;-)

So for me I guess yeah, I have flat emotions. But hey, it's better than being terrified due to persecutory delusions!

I assure you it is the Risperdal that is making you feel emotionally flat.

I will tell you about my experience with Risperdal. It happened 4 years ago when I was going to a Psychiatrist. The whole reason I was going to her was, that during the 5 months prior I had lost several of my good friends. Two of them to drug overdoses and two to car wrecks. They were friends that I would chill with almost every day. One of them was my friend Chad. I worked with him and his dad at a pool company and I went to high school with him. Therefore, we had been friends for a long time.

About 2 months prior to his death, we had gone to another mutual friend’s funeral, Blake's. Blake had died due to a combination Methadone and Oxycontin overdose. He was at another friend of mines house where he went to sleep, and when everyone else woke up the next morning, he did not and was blue. He was barely alive and because the ‘friend’ that owned the house did not want to call an ambulance because there was a massive amount of drugs in his house, due partly to the fact his parents sold drugs, too. They ended up taking him in the car to the hospital, where he was pronounced dead.

When Chad and me were at Blake's funeral; I told Chad do not make me go to your funeral. Well Chad died of a Methadone overdose. He also had sleep apnea and the night he died, he did not put his CPAP mask on. The day before we were working on prepping a pool to paint it and we were supposed to finish it the next day. When I called the next day, his mom picked up she said, "Chad's dead". I have never heard something that hurt so much. I am sure she did not mean it that way.

Sorry for rambling. I was depressed and I felt more anxiety than I could deal with. I ended up at this psychiatrist office and left with a script for Lexapro, Xanax, and 2mg Risperdal. To this day, I do not know why she gave me 2mg Risperdals. I was not psychotic nor did I have schizophrenia or did she ever test me for it. From what I know now, I work in the biopharmaceutical industry, 2mg of Risperdal is a high dose to start out with especially considering the other drugs she put me on. She also failed to warn me about tardive diskenesia. From the moment I to the first pill, I felt like a zombie or a robot. Very much, what you would describe as flat with no emotion. All I did was go through my day feeling nothing, neither happy nor sad. Within about 3 or 4 days, my face started to 'twitch' and it is a horrible feeling because you cannot stop it! I called my doc up and was told to drink some Benadryl. It did not help at all. After that 'twitch' finally went away, I flushed every single one of those Risperdals down the toilet. And, if you know me, I have never flushed any other pill ever.

Bottom line, if you do not absolutely, positively need it I would NEVER take Risperdal. If you let tardive diskenesia get to bad IT WILL NEVER GO AWAY.

Good luck to you

Just make sure to do research on anything you take before you take the first one. Unfortunately, there is no way to anticipate side effects.

I should add to my post...before I was on Risperdal I was an artist. Now I can't even get interested in creating anything. I settle for doing kits where all I have to worry about is technical proficiency. Or simple things like that. I just can't get in 'the head space' to paint anymore. And colours are very confusing now...not like before...very sharp and a lot of them compared to before...and always changing...

I took a painting I'd done 15 years ago in to be framed the other day and the framer wanted to know all about the artist. I found it interesting that I was dancing all around the Risperdal/diagnosis issue, not wanting to get into it all with a stranger. Didn't realize how much the drug had changed my life till then. I miss being able to create...or having the the drive to do so. Just no 'umpf' anymore.

But still...if it's a choice between persecutory delusions (no life) and not being able to create (half a life), I'll take the half a life...sigh...

I would like to explain my thoughts on Risperdal and creativity, also personality and emotions.
8 months ago I had a cannabis induced psychosis, and was put into the hospital as a formal patient in the psych ward for one month minimum. I have always been a VERY deep thinker. I also cherish my artistic abilities, and my artistic, creative mind. Also, when i was an adolescent, I struggled with depression and BDD (body dismorphic disorder) and I thought I was hideous, and it was all i could think about, so by the point of my psychosis, I had just turned 18, and I had turned out to be what i thought was quite pretty. So once I was put on Risperdal, at 3mg was the longest term dose I took, between October and December, I began to not be able to draw..my hands were stiff and I couldn't take an image from my head onto paper. This severly bothered me. Also, i developed pretty severe acne on my face and back and arms, and I gained 20 pounds. Those things really effected my self esteem, which I had worked so hard at feeling good about the way I look before I had to take the medication. Also, with Risperdal I didn't feel FREE. Just sitting here now, (I've been off any medication since december 17) I feel like a free spirit..but not with risperdal. SO, my point is, it's YOUR life, and you need to do exactly what will make you happy. I had the risk of having another psychosis if I went off Risperdal, but I took that risk after analyzing it all, because my beauty(self esteem), my art, and my sense of freedom were alot more important to me, than something that 'might' happen. I also believe that being on that medication made my memory permanently bad, and I think it may have even caused some irreversible damage to my brain. Be smart about yourself and your own life. Do what is right for you, think about the future, and just be happy in the present. Live day by day with no hate.

Hi. Im seeking information about the possible long term effects of risperidone. I am concerned that the side effects, particularly sexual libido side effects, can be permanent. I have been off the medication for about a week now and I still have no sex drive and loss of feeling in my genitals. Ive been reading several posts which seem to indicate that there is a possibility of there being permanent damage. I was never informed of any possible side effects when given this medication!

this is exactly what happened to me too. I was taking 2 mg then dropped to 1 mg. I don't "enjoy" activities including sex the way I used to either. I also experienced quite a bit of memory loss problems. I just saw a study that there were 234 people who reported memory problems taking risperdone. I was not informed either.

risparadal consta is nothing like risparadone....see risparadal consta is radioactive and is taken off the market now becauise of the faulty formula.....i took one they forcved it on me amnd it was hell on earth...i mean i have large balls but they shrunk to pebbles and my penis died for 4 months and my brain had permanent damage to it.....more or less this sh*t will cook you to the point were you feel like you need to die to get away from it...be careful with risparadal cosntait is NOT the same drug as risparadal and it will FRY YOUR BRAIN...invega sustenna is the same hell on earth...becareful not to ever wind up taking depository injections of antipsychotics this is highly unnatural and it will ruin your life...by the way 1 shot of this stuff can last for a year