My son is suffering from asthma and he has been for a long time. My doctor would like to put him on some new medication to see if that will help him get any better. When I heard the word "steroids", I flipped! And I thought, "No way that can be good for my son!" My doctor assured me that, when taken properly, steroids can only help my son's health. But I am still not too sure, and would like to hear more. Is there anybody with any experience with steroids for asthma, especially for a 13 year old boy?

Of course, every medication, including steroids for asthmatics, can have some side effects. I have suffered from asthma since I was a teen myself, and have been on steroids from time to time. It really helps my lungs, and after a while I can come off again. Personally, I never noticed too many unpleasant side effects at all.