Hi, I have an eighteen months old baby. He was diagnosed with cystic fibrosis. I am taking him on his checkups regularly. His therapy is the same. Cystic fibrosis in my child isn't evolving. I have test results to prove it. That is what his doctor also says. However, I think that my son is catching a new illness. He has been coughing really hard. He is also wheezing. Could my son have asthma as well?

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your son's problems. Cystic fibrosis is a condition in which, among others, lungs are mostly affected. This disease is causing lungs to get infected. The symptoms produced by cystic fibrosis are pretty much the same as the ones produced by asthma. Cough and wheeze are among them. There isn't a generally accepted definition, or opinions, about asthma with cystic fibrosis. The reasons for this are, as I said, the same symptoms and almost the same medicines used in both cases. There can be a way for you to suspect that your child has asthma as well. If there is a family history of this illness your suspicions may be correct. However, you should talk about your concerns with the doctor and he will take steps in order to determine if your son has developed asthma or if his condition is getting worse because of the cystic fibrosis.