Hello, my son is seven years old and he had a lot of respiratory infections. After every attack, serious breathing problems occurred. And they lasted longer and longer. We went to a doctor and he prescribed him with corticosteroids. I know those are meds with a lot of side effects. Is it smart to give him this medication?

I can tell you that corticosteroids that are taken by inhalation do not have the same side effects as those taken orally. Their main effect is anti inflammatory – they prevent that process, reduce the secretion (that obstructs air passages), relaxes the muscles in those same passages. In this way they ease the breathing.

Yeah I have been taking inhaled steroids for asthma for about 9 years now, and I have no side effects whatsoever except helping me to breathe much better! after taking them a few weeks they have really helped control my asthma in the long term so it doesnt take over my life.