Hello! My grandfather was a healthy old man till few years ago. He used to have pains in his fingers but didn’t pay much attention to. Then, few years ago, his joints started to get inflamed and his fingers deformed. The diagnosis was rheumatoid arthritis. His doctor prescribed daypro and he felt much better. Now, he has problems with high blood pressure. He went to see the specialist who prescribed toprol 50 mg, but my old grandpa forgot to tell him that he takes daypro too. I’m not sure how these two medicines work together?

Hi! Daypro, as a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug, is very good for relieving the inflammation and joint pains. On the other hand, Toprol belongs to the group of drugs called beta-blockers which are usually used to treat hypertension, angina and heart attack. .
You have to know that all NSAIDs, as Daypro, can cause a great risk to the patients with cardiovascular problems and can lead to worsening of existing hypertension. If there is no other way for a patient then to use some of NSAIDs, it should be the in the lowest effective dosage and for a very short time. You probably know that your grandfather’s blood pressure has to be checked regularly, so, first of all take him to see his doctor and he will make a combination of drugs which will be effective as well, but less harmful.