I know that Norvasc is used to treat hypertension. I also understand very well, that hypertension is high blood pressure. However, my grandfather has angina pectoris or chest pain, and his doctor prescribed him Norvasc. Since he is over 65 years of age, I wonder if that is appropriate medicine to treat his condition. Can you tell me something about its side effects?

Unfortunately, I have to tell you that Norvasc brings side effects, as most of drugs do. In addition, if your grandfather is over 65, he is likely to experience side effects from Norvasc. That is why solution is that his doctor may prescribe a lower dose of this medication to avoid these side effects. If he experiences any of the following serious side effects, he should stops taking Norvasc. Then he should contact his doctor immediately or seek emergency medical treatment. These side effects are an allergic reaction that shows up as difficulty breathing, closing of the throat, swelling of the lips, tongue, or face. He might experience hives, unusually fast or slow heartbeat, chest pain, severe dizziness or fainting psychosis, and jaundice, which are yellowing of the skin or eyes. Side effects of Norvasc are also swelling of the legs or ankles. He should take Norvasc exactly as directed by his doctor. It is important if he does not understand these directions, he should ask his pharmacist, nurse, or doctor for an explanation.