Hi, I have a question about a drug called Verapamil. My doctor has prescribed it to me because I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. The doctor prescribed me with Verapamil because the diet changes and my walks didnt give desired results. He didnt say much about this drug, except that it is one of the best for hypertension. I would like to know more about it. Can someone help?

Hi, Verapamil is a good drug for high blood pressure. It belongs to the group of drugs called calcium channels blockers. This type of drugs relaxes the muscles in the blood vessels, enabling them to expand and allow the blood to flow through them more freely. As a result the blood pressure drops. Also, as a result of the blood vessels expansion, more oxygen is delivered to heart and this is why Verapamil also helps in the treatment of angina pectoris, another serious cardiac condition. Verapamil is thought to be one of the best calcium channels blockers, but whether it is the best one for high blood pressure I cannot say. The fact is that there is a great number of drugs used to treat high blood pressure and sometimes the doctors have to try various combinations in order to achieve the best results. I suppose that in your case the doctor thinks that Verapamil will give the desired effect. The truth is that there is no way to say if this is the best drug for you until some time passes. You should have faith in your doctor and believe that he has nothing but your best interest in mind.