I have a friend with a problem so she visited doctor, who prescribed her Toprol-XL. Now I know this drug is indicated in the long-term treatment of angina pectoris. However, my father was on regular check up at his doctor, who diagnosed him with hypertension, as he told me. Now I am worried because he prescribed him the same drug Toprol-XL. I am worried if he has the same angina pectoris and he does not want to share problem with me.

It is common situation that patients are confused because this medicine could be prescribed in both cases. You should not be worried because I do not think she wants to hide real condition. However, patients should be advised to take Toprol-XL regularly and continuously, as it was directed. It should be done preferably with or immediately following meals. If a dose should be missed, the patient should take only the next scheduled dose, and it is important to know it should not be doubled. Patients should not interrupt or discontinue Toprol-XL without consulting the physician who prescribed this drug to them. Furthermore, patients should be advised to avoid operating automobiles and machinery or engaging in other tasks requiring alertness until response to therapy with Toprol-XL has been determined. If any difficulty in breathing occurs, she should consult her doctor or inform the physician. Important info she should know is her dentist or doctor should be informed before any type of surgery while she is taking Toprol-XL.