My sister has developed symptoms that are characteristic for depression. Insomnia, sadness, worthlessness, she lost interest for daily activities and lost appetite. She got trazodon, antidepressant to take it, 50mg 3 times a day. She has started with therapy 2 weeks ago. Effects are still not visible. Fortunately, side effects are also absent. Please tell me something about mechanism of action of trazodon.

Trazodone is antidepressant that is not chemically related to mao inhibitors, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors and tryciclic antidepressants. In fact, its mechanism of action is unknown, but it is believed that is similar to mechanism of inhibitors of serotonin reuptake. It takes several weeks for the full effect to be seen, like all the antidepressants do. That time is needed that receptors in brain and neurotransmitters get balanced. Side effects usually last as long as body needs to adjust on medication. Benefits of trazodone should be visible in next two weeks.

I have taken 100mg of Trazadone for probably 10 years. I only take 1 at nigh5 for insomnia. I tried all the other meds and this is the best! I wake up with zero side effects! It is the best for insomnia!

I would agree with you when it comes to Trazodone and sleep - best sleep I have had in years. Just remember should it stop working as in my case you have to go through withdrawal. Slowly, even then it is unpleasant. So I hope it works for you forever, just be prepared there may be a time it doesn't - Good Luck