Hello everyone. I am diagnosed with anxiety and my doctor didn't offered me some alternatives to treat this. He told me that I should start with antidepressants immediately. OK, he knows the best, even if I am against antidepressants, I think that it is OK to listen to him. So, he prescribed Cipralex for me, but I keep having this ugly fear of the side - effects. So, I really hope that here is someone who has experience with it. I am afraid of the side - effects. What are the most common side-effects of antianxiety drug Cipralex? Tnx in advance. 

Hi there. You need to know that every medicine can cause you a side effects. And this is nothing new. So, according to this, Ciraplex can also cause a side - effects for you. I haven't tried this medicine, at least not yet, but I was reading a lot about it. For example, some of the side - effects that this medicine can cause are:

- dry mouth,

- sickness,

- you are not able to sleep during the night,

- you are losing your appetite,

- you have upset stomach almost every day,

- you are sweating.

Anyway, if you  have any of those side - effects you should tell your doctor about this. 

I was using it, of course. I am begin to wonder is there any medication that I was not using for my anxiety. But of course, Hannah those side - effects that you wrote are most common side - effects that can happen to a patient. I had those side - effects that are not that common so doctor changed a therapy for me.

For example, I was struggling with bruises that I had all over my skin in the different areas. Also, I had hallucinations occasionally and it was very hard for me to control my blood sugar. Also, one more problem I was dealing with was inability to urinate. I can't tell you how this ugly is. 

Now, I really don't know what to do because I am extremely scared of any side - effects. Is there any chance that I can know will I have side - effects or not? There is no chance for this, right? I knew it, but for all of my life I am against antidepressants because I do believe that there are so many better options to treat anxiety. I am still an optimist and I believe that I will be able to find someone who has good experience with this medicine, because knowing my doctor he will insist to give me this medication. I know that he will control me and my condition, but I am still scared...

Your doctor is the only one to tell you if you are definitely going to have some side effects because he knows about your current condition and he has your medical history records, but you are always prone to having some side effects of the medication that you are using, I hope that you understand that.

Some of the known side effects are the change in your heart rate, congested or runny nose, constipation, diarrhea, difficulty sleeping, dizziness, drowsiness, dry mouth, fatigue, fever, heartburn, increased sweating, insomnia, loss of appetite, nausea, decreased libido (sex drive) or inability to have an orgasm. 

This medication has a lot of side effects, just like Gaia and Hannah wrote above about some, although I believe that there are so many more possible side effects of Cipralex.

On the other hand, you shouldn't be worried about these side effects because there is a possibility that you aren't going to have any of these and if it happens that you have some of these side effects, you are going to have two or three of them, maximum four, let's say. So if your doctor already recommended Cipralex for you, give it a try and see how it goes.

There are bunch of different side effects of Cipralex, but these are some of the most dangerous one, it is recommended that you immediately seek medical assistance if you notice any of these side effects occurring: seizure or convulsions, serotonin syndrome or neuroleptic malignant syndrome – signs include agitation, confusion, diarrhea, fever, overactive reflexes, poor coordination, restlessness, shivering, sweating, talking or acting with excitement you cannot control, trembling or shaking, and twitching. All of these side effects are considered to be severe and very dangerous as they can lead to some other dangerous problems so you should immediately seek medical attention.