Hello, folks. My husband suffers from arrhythmia. At the latest check up, cardiologist recommended him to start using sotanol. I would like to know what the most common side effects of sotanol are. My husband has never used this drug before and I would like to know that. Thanks in advance.

Hi, there. Sotalol belongs to a group of medicine called beta blockers. It is used with arrhythmias of ventricles such as ventricular tachycardia or ventricular fibrillation. Sotalol AF is used for atrial arrhythmias. There are some side effects that can be caused by sotalol. Those are: chest pain, shortness of breath and fast heartbeat. Feeling like fainting is also possible. Swelling, increased thirst, rapid gain weight and slow heartbeat are also possible. Less serious side effects are: insomnia, mild diarrhea, headache or feeling tired. If your husband felt like this, he would have to report it to his doctor. I hope this won’t happen. Bye!

Sotalol belongs to a class of drug called beta blockers. The most common side-effects of beta-blockers are fatigue. If your husband experienced fatigue, you might ask your doctor to lower the dose of the drug or ask the doctor to install a pacemaker to avoid the heart beats become to low.

Wilson Ngai
(Pharmacist, US & Canada)