Hello.

I was reading about this medication called Sotalol. I’ve heard about it before but never actually needed it so I don’t really know about people’s experiences with it.

You probably know at least one person that uses it. It is often prescribed by doctors when they want to treat people with arrhythmia.

So can you tell me what are the experiences?

It would be even better to hear from someone who is actually using it him/herself, currently.

I would love to know about its down sides, so I’m especially interested in side effects.

So what are the side effects and contraindications for it?

Hey there. Well, my friend was using Sotalol for her arrhythmia. I know that she stopped to take it because she had some side – effects, and the bad thing was because she stopped to take this medicine on her own – don’t do this. Never! She had side effects which are common for a lot of people when they are using sotalol. You can have : dizziness, tiredness, weakness, you can have headaches, even upset stomach or diarrhea.

There are some serious side – effects as well, but I don’t know anything about them. Maybe someone else will tell you more about it.

Good luck.

Hey there. Well, La Yl La has a totally right about this. There are some side – effects that are more serious than dizziness, nausea, stomach cramps etc. Those side – effects are common in lot of patients.

Now, there are some side – effects that are really bad and they can affect your health seriously. They are less common.

• Changes in vision,
  • Loss of appetite,
  • Changes in your mood,
  • Night blindness,
  • Skin rash,
  • Weight changes,
  • Hair loss,
  • Thinning of the hair,
  • Very itchy skin,
  • Muscle aching or even cramping.
  • Severe sunburn, etc.

Hey there.

Can you tell me what your dosage is, how many pills per day you are taking? I need to ask you this because my uncle had this problem and he had side – effects just because he made a mistake in his daily dose. I love to say that he was overdose with Sotalol and that is why he had dizziness and he was throwing up as well.

If this is not your case, than you should notify your doctor about this. There are so many other side – effects, even more than other members wrote in here.

For example, you can have slow heartbeat, you can feel tired, you can have diarrhea or even decreased sexual ability.

Hey Health n Joy,

They have all mentioned most of the known side effects, but the one that they were telling you about, the one and only serious side effect when it comes to Sotalol is a dangerous abnormal heartbeat. Dangerous abnormal heartbeats happen rarely, but they can be serious and, in rare cases, can even cause death.

The most common side effects which are not dangerous or life threatening are tiredness, slow rate, shortness of breath and dizziness. It can also cause some other side effects, but these are basically different for every person.

Just use it with caution and follow any instructions that you have been given.

Hello there. Well my close friend was using Sotalol for her arrhythmia. And she had almost every of those side – effects that you mentioned in here.

She told me that, if side – effects occur they usually should disappear when the dosage is reduced. Well, that was not in her case so she needed to change the pills.

Another friend of mine never had any problems and she was taking Sotalol 60 mg.

So, I believe that this depends from a lot of factors.

If you notice any side – effects it is very important to tell this to your doctor.

GL!

Hey Health n Joy,

I really hope that you will never have to use it in the future.

I think that it has some of the worst side effects that a medicine can have. Aside the fact that this medication can kill you (which happens in a small number of cases), it makes you feel dizzy and unwilling to do anything, maybe not unwilling, but it makes you feel unable to do anything. It can easily change your mood without you wanting it to, and it won't change it for the better. It can make you gain some weight or even lose your hair.

Hi everyone,

It's true, this medicine has a lot of bad side effects. The worst is the fact that it can kill you. It can cause a dangerous abnormal heartbeat which can eventually lead to death, as someone above me already wrote.

I believe that they wrote most of the other not so dangerous side effects. I think that the worst of them all is a change of mood. It will never change your mood from bad to good, only for the worse. It is going to make you lazy, angry and tired. You probably want to stay alone for a couple of hours after using it.

Hi Health n Joy,

First of all, heart arrhythmia isn't always treated by any medications, only in some special cases. And doctors rarely prescribe Sotalol for it because they know of its side effects. There are around 30 different drugs for treating arrhythmia and Sotalol is the least used.

The others already wrote the most important things when it comes to Sotalol: it can be deadly, it rarely happens, but it does. It has bunch of different side effects and that is exactly why it's not used a lot. If you happen to meet anyone who was prescribed with Sotalol, tell them to try another drug instead.