hello, i have been on lexapro for four months because of anxiety issues, however i do not believe the drug is working that well enough- i dont get panic attacks, but i still manage to get very nervous when I am performing on stage. I think a drug like xanax might be better for me but im not sure. does lexapro also make you very tired?

I have been taking Lexapro (10mg/day) for about a year now, and have found that it works very well for my anxiety / OCD. If you suffer from PANIC ATTACKS, Lexapro is not necessarily the best you can do though it may help some. Lexapro is normally used to treat anxiety disorder (which is a constant feeling of foreboding and fear) and usually does that very well as it does in my case, but panic attacks (which are the sudden onset of abject terror that have physical side effects), like stage fright, sometimes require other medications. Xanax is EXCELLENT for this purpose. If you're getting nervous about something, pop a Xanax and within 1/2 hour you'll feel good as new. I bummed a couple off a friend for this purpose and it worked PERFECTLY. I too get stage fright, have to do presentations at work and other things, and Xanax is exactly what I needed. I'm going to the doc next week to ask about a perscription.

On a side note, I've heard that Xanax can be addictive, so you should try to take it only when you really feel like you need it (when you can feel panic setting in).

Good luck!

one more thing: you might want to talk to your doc about increasing your dosage of Lexapro if you don't feel its working well enough for your needs. some people need higher dosages than others, and the doc can adjust based on what works for you. There IS a combo of medications / dosages that will help both your anxiety AND panic attacks, you just have to work with your doctor to find it.