I’ve been struggling with anxiety for several years now, but I was officially diagnosed with anxiety disorder about six months ago. The first medication my psychiatrist gave me was lorazepam, and even though I felt it did help at first, I’ve been getting anxiety attacks again.

I’ve already scheduled my next appointment and I’m wondering if anyone who is in similar situation could share their opinion on whether Xanax works better in preventing anxiety attacks and controlling anxiety disorder, or should I consider some third treatment option.

They are all in the same class. I tried xanax and did not like it. Also tried kolonopin which has a longer life span so you don't need to take as many and less of a chance to be dependant on it. I only used it for 2 weeks. I don't like the feeling of these or any other mind altering drug. You can overcome this by retraining your thought patterns. It is not easy but I have almost got it down. Read books on CBT it helps. It's been a year since my last panic attack. Will I get another one, I don't know? I know that if I do, it won't kill me. I still get anxiety but nothing like a year ago and I know how to deal with it now. You can not let it control your life. Go out still do things and you will see that over time it just dissapers. You need to get to the bottom of why this happens and all these drugs do is mask the issue. Also, they are not ment for long term use. If you want a long term drug then go on an anti-depressant like Zoloft or Lexapro. While on these though you stilll have to work on the root of the issue so you can get off of the drugs at some time. Good luck.

thanks for your reply! I've been researching more on this myself, and I agree with you when it comes to becoming dependent on these medications - I think that's what's already happened to me with lorazepam over these months since it seems like I've developed higher tolerance and now need higher dose for it to be at least somewhat effective. I can clearly see where this path could lead, and since I still have choice, I'd rather try not going this way. I'm just hoping my psychiatrist will be more open to psychotherapy options, from what I've read so far on cognitive therapy, in some studies it was proven to be more effective than any of the meds, in the long run. And it makes sense since you're dealing with the issue, and not the symptom alone.

That is great. You can do this w/o meds. Get CBT for dummies it's good. Also find info on the web about mindfulness. This week I started to cut out caffeine, advice from my doctor. At first I thought ok like that will do anything. You know what day 3 and I have very low to no anxiety? Never thought to do this. I always drank coffee and soda not realizing that caffeine may be affecting me. Also try Calms Forte seems to work well. Even though it says sleep I take it anytime and it works. It takes like an hour to feel the affects. Not like sleepy just your mind is relaxed.

Lorazepam worked better for me than za ax I got less sleepy and a little more focused but calm zanax tend to make me sluggish