I was diagnosed first with depression and then with general anxiety disorder as well few months ago. I’ve been taking Valium 2mg my physician prescribed me, but I feel like it isn’t managing my anxiety since I still have attacks, especially if I don’t take the Valium.

I have a checkup with the psychiatrist who diagnosed me with general anxiety disorder in two weeks, and besides Zoloft that he prescribed initially, I was wondering would I have more control over my anxiety if I was taking Xanax? Is Xanax stronger than Valium?

I've been taking both Valium and Xanax for my panic attacks and you do need much bigger dose of Valium to get the same effect Xanax has. Besides that, Xanax is far better in having anti-anxiety effect than in putting you to sleep, while the opposite goes for Valium.

Even though you're on the smallest dosage of Valium, you need to mention that to your doctor before he prescribes you anything because Valium is a benzodiazepine medication and it causes addiction, so you might need to continue taking it with xanax for a while.

I agree with most of what previous poster said - you need much lower dose of Xanax to get the anxiolytic effect, while Valium is more likely to get you drowsy or sleepy. However, Xanax has a few downsides too - you build up tolerance to it relatively quickly and since it's addictive like other medications from this group, there is far bigger chance you'll need higher and higher dosage.

Besides medication, have you considered counseling or psychotherapy for your depression and generalized anxiety disorder? In some cases, it can be as effective as medications, mainly because you're dealing with the problem and not only with symptoms.

Hi marlei,
yes I had psychotherapy sessions for the whole last year, but I had to stop going due to the costs. You are right, it did help, but unfortunately now I'll have to rely on medications to work until I can afford to start therapy sessions again. So, if I got it correctly, what both of you are saying is that I will either need higher dose of Valium or take a risk with Xanax. Either fay, it's just few days until I have my appointment and I'll keep you posted on how that goes. Oh, and thank you for your replies!