I’ve been having anxiety attacks for years now, and during this time I’ve been on several anti depressants - I’m currently on sertraline, but alongside them I’ve been also prescribed Xanax to help better control my anxiety. Since my old psychiatrist retired, I’ve got a new one and she thinks I’ve been on Xanax for too long and is now considering to switch me to Lorazepam.

I’m bit afraid that I might go into withdrawal from Xanax, so I’m wondering would it be OK if I continued to take Xanax for at least a while together with Lorazepam?

Hi guest,

Talk to your doctor about your concerns.

Both are benzodiapines so you probably won't have withdrawal symtpoms.

Lorazepam is usually used for a generalized anxiety disorder.  Xanax is usually used more for panic attacks.

Good luck.

Hello, it might be a bit strange for you during the first few days after you switch from Xanax to Lorazepam, if you've been on Xanax for such a long time, but like medic dan said, you shouldn't experience any real withdrawal symptoms. You might notice the difference in the way lorazepam acts compared to Xanax - mainly, Xanax is faster acting than lorazepam, but it is equally, if not more effective in managing anxiety symptoms. Of course, discuss your concerns with your doctor and ask everything you need to know.

Why would anyone promote taking these pills, especially together? Im dealing with an addict & I say dont take them! They are ugly!!!