Hi, I have a friend whose daughter is probably suffering from multiple sclerosis. I know that this is a serious illness and I can see that my friend is very worried about her daughter; after all she is only twenty four. I can see that my friend needs all the support she can get, but I don't know much about multiple sclerosis, except that it is an autoimmune illness. I would like to encourage her so that she could be strong for her daughter. Do you have some knowledge about multiple sclerosis that I can use to help my friend?

Hi, I am sorry to hear about your friend's daughter. It is very sad to hear that someone so young has to fight with multiple sclerosis. However this does not mean that her life is over. My mother is suffering from multiple sclerosis too. Her symptoms started to appear when she was thirty six. I was very young at that time, so I don't remember much about it. My mother is now fifty three years old vital woman. The thing with multiple sclerosis is that it is a very personal condition. Under personal I mean that there is little resemblance in its development between any two affected persons. Except for the cause which in all of the cases is an autoimmune reaction against myelin. Myelin is a protein that wraps the neurons. When it is destroyed the messages from the brain travel more slowly to the rest of the body and this causes the symptoms of multiple sclerosis. In my mother's case the illness caused sight and hearing problems. She also experienced a lot of pain, but with the help of medication the periods between the attacks sometimes last up to ten months. When she was diagnosed the doctors told her that there is a great chance that she will go blind. Her eyesight is not the same as fifteen years ago, but she is not blind. So you see, doctors are not always right, especially with the conditions such as multiple sclerosis. They don't know everything about it and therefore can not make a conclusive prognosis. You should tell your friend to be strong and brave and hope for the best.