I am 3 weeks post op from this operation and am finding it very difficult to not do anything around the house when I do not feel bad. I was wondering if there is a site or something that can tell me week by week in my healing what would be o.k for me to do. I am told no cleaning, laundry, feeding the dogs, lifting my grand-daughter ( which I understand ) and just about nothing. Not cooking dinner or dishes. I am a clean freak and my kids dont do too much and my husband is recovering from disk fusion ( 8 weeks post op) and is told not to do much around here either. So If someone could let me know what is acceptable to do during recovery I would greatly apprecaiat it!! Thank You!
Chris :-( [/list]

I'm 9 weeks post op, C4-5, C5-6 discs out, bone put in (from my own hip), and the plate and screws installed. I was told light duty only. I wore the miami j brace for 5 weeks straight. I'm back to doing things, but no heavy lifting or straining of any kind.

Post op troubles? Let me count the ways..... Numbness in the hands is terrible - and I'm a guitar player by profession. Guess I'll be out of work for some time! Numbness of the skin around my stomach and back, down both thighs, topical numbness on the knees and ankles. I shuffle instead of walk..

I've had numerous aches and pains over these4 9 weeks. I take Ibuprofein, Tylanol, and recently started taking Neurontin. Getting better every day, but it IS a long haul. I've read alot about this surgery on the various internet sites. Everyone experiences post op pains and other maladays like mine. I've found almost no "success stories".

Remember, cervical discectomy is a preventive operation, not a corrective one!

I am 49 year old female 16 days post op. I probably shouldn't be, but I'm almost doing everything I did prior to surgery. I actually have vacuumed our pool, mowed the lawn and have been driving since post op day 8. I have been told not to do much at all, but I am a single mom and have no help. I'm hoping I don't disrupt anything, but I cannot afford a housekeeper, chauffer and babysitter. I just try to use common sense, if it hurts, don't do it. I have a titanium plate in, no cervical collar. The only problem I really have now is I'm a bit sore, but it's still hard to swallow. I don't really understand why you can't do dishes, seems a bit harsh to eat off of dirty dishes, lol. I wish you well, but don't follow my course as I'm probably going to hear, I told you so. Good luck and I think housework lightly is acceptable, geez, it's not like we had brain surgery. Just don't fall or go out throwing your head around and I think we will be fine.