My doctor prescribed me Atenolol to lower my blood pressure. My problem is that I only know that Atenolol is in a class of drugs called beta-blockers. I have heard beta-blockers affect the heart and circulatory system, arteries and veins. Since I started to use this medicine, I think I should know more about it. What is the most important thing I should know about this drug, and what are possible side effects?

Atenolol is used to lower blood pressure, lower heart rate, reduce chest pain, or angina, and to reduce the risk of recurrent heart attacks. Important fact you should know is that you should ever stop taking Atenolol abruptly, unless you are directed to do so by your doctor. Stopping Atenolol abruptly may cause your condition to become even worse. You should call your doctor immediately if you experience shortness of breath. Also use caution when driving, operating machinery, or performing other hazardous activities. Atenolol may cause dizziness or drowsiness, and if you experience dizziness or drowsiness, avoid these activities. If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking atenolol. After that call your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical treatment. Those emergency side effects are an allergic reaction, such as difficulty breathing, closing of your throat, swelling of your lips, tongue, or face, and hives. Also if you notice an unusually slow or irregular heart beat and swelling of your feet and lower legs call your doctor immediately.