My daughter is very congested and can hardly breathe so I gave her a fourth of a benadryl. Now I'm very scared of a threat of Diphenhydramine hurting her. How worried should I be?

Such small dose will probably not hurt her but you should watch for any reactions. Benadryl is sometimes given to babies who can't sleep but I would personally avoid giving anything to babies without having to talk with a pediatric first.

Don't make this a habit. You better call a 24h baby service or something for an advice instead of making your own decisions.

Hi there,
If I am not mistaking Diphenhydramine is used to relieve red, irritated, itchy, watery eyes; sneezing; and runny nose caused by hay fever, allergies, or the common cold. However I don’t think that his is a big dose and I am not sure if it could cause any adverse reactions. How old is your daughter and have you noticed any adverse reaction to the medication? Have you consulted your doctor about this? You have to know if things get complicated that you will have to take her to see a doctor just to prevent any further complications. However I think that she will be safe. I hope this helped you a bit.

All the best,
Danella