About 50% of the time, my nose and ears get very congested about an hour after consuming alcohol. Any ideas?

Me too! Though it's very inconsistent. not always the same type of alcohol causing the problem. What's up with that?

It took me a long time to realize the connection between the two. For me, it is not until I wake up that I realize I am congested, with a terrible sinus headache. Does alcohol cause swelling of the sinus membranes?

No, alcohol does not cause the swelling of the sinus membranes. It does the exact opposite which allows already semi-irritating particles become absolute nuisances. From my understanding, some alcohols have histamines (used in their processing). The histimanes trigger your natural anti-histamines that produce these congestion-like reactions.

There isn’t much info on this and I am not sure that I can give you much info, but I think I can spread some light on this question. Histamines that are located in alcohol are the main cause of these congestions of the ear and nose. Some people are not tolerant to the histamines and they have adverse reactions. Are you having these reaction from all the alcohol drinks or just some? If you get this from all I would suggest stop drinking and if you get this from just few beverages you can stop drinking them. I am not also sure is there a treatment option for this condition but you can avoid drinking alcohol.
Good luck,
Danella

Hallo,
I am not sure if this could mean this, but I know that some people are allergic to alcohol and in some cases when they drink alcohol they can have adverse reactions in their body. I know that the allergy can influence the throat and stomach, but I am not sure if it is able to manifest as this problem. However you should see if your ears and nose are having problems with some sort of an infection which might be the main cause behind this as well. Did you have any problems with blood pressure? I know that alcohol influences blood so this might be caused by this as well.
All the best to you,
Karen