I have a son who is 16 years old he is allergic, and diagnosed with allergy that appears as skin reactions. Anyway, once when we take him to the doctor, he said he needs medicine. He prescribed him Acrivastine, so I am worried a little bit. I do not know anything about this drug, so I want to know what that is. Can you tell me anything about Acrivastine, because I want my son to be well, and not drugged with some bad medicine?

Acrivastine belongs to the group of medicines known as antihistamines. This medicine is used to prevent and relieve allergic conditions such as hay fever and some allergic skin reactions. As you can see, there is no need to worry and think his doctor made mistake, since this is normal medicine prescribed in cases like his. It is also shown as well worked with allergies to pollen, pet fur, house dust or an insect bite. All these allergies can cause the body to produce chemical called histamine. The release of histamine causes allergic symptoms, which can include rashes, sneezing, watery eyes and a running or blocked nose, but I believe you know all this. The point with antihistamines is that these medicines stop the effects of histamine and help to relieve these symptoms. Acrivastine is available in capsule form, and is sometimes known as Benadryl. Before your son start taking this medicine, make sure that his doctor or pharmacist knows if he suffer from liver or kidney problems, or have epilepsy or porphyria. It is also important if he has ever had an allergic reaction to this or any other medicine, or if he is taking any other medicines, including those available to buy without a prescription, herbal and complementary medicines.