Hi, my baby is suffering from symptoms that are a lot like allergic reactions. I don't know what I can do to help him with his runny nose and watery eyes. Is there some way for me to determine if my son has an allergic reaction without the doctor? Can you tell me what the most common things that the babies are allergic to are?

Hi, babies can have allergic reactions just like the grown ups. In fact, your baby might have inherited some kind of allergy from you or your husband. I remember when my daughter was one year old. She had a severe allergic reaction to dust mites. I did not know that at the time, but she inherited this allergic reaction from me. I kept my allergy under control, but I never imagined that she could develop the same allergy. The symptoms were the same like your son's, but I did not connect them to allergy. I thought that she had a nasty cold so I took her to the doctor. He did some tests and determined the problem. I was very surprised. Now I use dust mites covers for her pillow and mattress. I got rid off almost all of her stuffed animals and I am proud to say that she is much healthier now. If you or your husband are allergic to something, chances are that your son is allergic to that too. Or maybe he is allergic to a substance he is getting from your breast milk. If you can not determine the cause on your own, take your son to the doctor where he will be tested and the allergen will be determined. Don't use over the counter antihistamines without your doctor's approval, because they can cause serious side effects.