I recently got an MRI and it showed i have an 8mm bulging disc. Here is what the mri says, L4-L5 There is a disk Desiccation. There is a mild degree of central atenosia secondary to a broad based asymmetric posterior disk extrussion, which at its maximum on the left side measures about 8mm and is causing pressure over the left side of the thecal sac and shows mild caudead extension along the left lateral recess of L5. There is mild narrowing of the right neural foramen.

I have been going to the chiropractor twice a day for the last three weeks. At first i could only lay down without being in excruciating pain. I am now able to walk slowly, but with great pain. The condition is slowly getting better, but i am still i a lot of pain, and cant walk normal yet. There still seems to be swelling on the left side of my lower back. Would a cortisone injection help? I must admit i am really really frustrated.

Hi there

As sufferer myself, I did get relief from the shots. I also have had physical therapy for 5 or 6 weeks. Do some stretching exericises too.
Your back heals so slow. Get plenty of rest. Oh, by the way, you are not wump!!!

Twin2854 :-)

Dear thewomp,

Usually the variations in the MRI of the cervical and lumbar spine are "just there" and they do not usually create neurological symptoms. You do not need manipulation, either.

Have this done: Have an injection of 80 mg. of triamcinolone in the outer/upper quadrant of the buttock....any side. Since steroid that are injected are absorbed by the blood stream the medicine goes all over the body. The idea of an injection in the spine or other place usually is quite meaningless.

If the injection helps over 4 to 7 days...in a meaninful fashion, that indicates that you have piriformis syndrome deep in the buttock where the sciatic, posterior femoral cutaneous and pudendal nerves leave the pelvis into the leg. The pudendal nerve innervates the penis and rear of the scrotum so if you "pinch that side of the penis and the posterior/inferior scrotum" and compare such a pinch to the other side you will find that the scrotum and penis on the "painful side" has less sensitivity compared to the other side or the inner thigh or the abdomen.

There is a treatment for it. Let me know how you test out.

Yours, Norsk10

Hi there, I would try upperderel (sp)shot in that area. Only by pain a pain clinic professional . I had several and it really helped. Also, look into reading Dr. Sarno book (Healing Back Pain). If you in alot stress in your life it could the main problem. Mine was. Doing so much better this year. Hope this helps!